Over the past decade, China has established one of the largest higher education systems in the world. Chinese graduates dominate the largest numbers worldwide annually, with many excelling in different industries and fields. China is also home to top-tier universities that have kept moving upwards in major global university ranking tables.
Recognizing the role of quality education in national industrialization and social progress, the Chinese government offers numerous scholarships for resident and international students. In fact, China is one of the most generous countries providing scholarships to foreign students and there are currently over 50,000 international students in China with scholarships.
Dulguun is from Mongolia and has successfully received scholarships to study in China. Now she is an admissions officer at China Admissions based in Beijing.
The scholarships can be very valuable, overing the tuition fees, accommodation and living expenses worth up to $30,000 USD.
Register for Updates About Scholarships
We at China Admissions have helped a large number of students to receive scholarships in China for several years. We have learnt from experience.
Here are some happy thoughts from the students who have already gotten the scholarships and who we helped:
Thanks a lot. I’m totally indebted to you, I”m so relieved, I feel like I have finally accomplished something. Heartfelt appreciation for your efforts.
Says Zahir, a student from India, who applied for Beihang University.
Respected sir, let me inform you with great respect and regards that I have been awarded full scholarship of Tsinghua University and thanks for giving me guidance regarding my matter.
These are the words of Jamali’s, Tsinghua University scholarships student.
We do everything in our power to make the process of applying for Universities, for scholarships easier and more understandable, we want every student with a dream of studying in China succeed in achieving this dream, so don’t let formalities and procedures which can be pretty confusing stand on your way, when we are always here for you and ready to help.
We are soon releasing a free guide for scholarship information for 2021 intake so we can help more international students.
Register for updates about scholarships here.
Types of Scholarships in China
Chinese Government Scholarships
CSC scholarships are one of the most common scholarships awarded to international students. Provided by the Chinese Scholarship Council, this type of government scholarship is a initiative of the Chinese Ministry of Education to promote education, cultural exchange, political cooperation and mutual understanding between other countries and China. CSC scholarships can be partially or full-funded.
The Chinese government also offers other scholarships such as the Confucius Institute scholarships, CAS-TWAS Scholarships, Chinese Provincial Government Scholarships and many more scholarships to international students.
Undergraduate, master’s and doctoral students who qualify for a government scholarship receive a monthly stipend, free tuition and free accommodation during their study.
Chinese University Scholarships
The majority of universities in China offer scholarships for students. These scholarships can cover your tuition fees, as well as the cost of your accommodation.
Xiamen University for instance, is offering five different scholarships for international students so they can study in China. The application process to apply for university scholarships is more simple than CSC scholarships. You can see the full list here.
These types of scholarships are offered by distinguished alumni, big companies and charitable institutions. Independent scholarships can cover the full or partial tuition fee and are usually awarded to international students who have exemplary academic record.
How Much Is the Scholarship Worth?
There are minor and full scholarships. They can include a portion or all of the tuition fee, accommodation, and some will pay living expenses every month which can be worth up to $30,000 USD.
3 Tips to Apply for the Scholarship
1) Apply early – the application deadline is open for a limited time only, so you need to apply on time. There are often too many students applying and so it may be hard to get feedback. Apply to multiple universities and scholarships. It is very competitive so it is better to apply to numerous opportunities.
2) Contacts – Try to get in contact with someone from the university and / or embassy so they can check your application documents are correct.
3) Prepare Documents Carefully – Because there are so many students applying it is important that you prepare all your application documents correctly. If you do not prepare them correctly then your application may not be processed.
Make sure that you register on China Admissions here for free tips about how to apply.
How to Apply for Scholarship in China?
The largest scholarship is the Chinese government scholarship which is managed by the China Scholarship Council. The full scholarship typically includes all tuition fees, living expenses, accommodation, and some intercity travel. The amount of living expenses depend on whether you are a chinese language student, undergraduate, master’s or PhD student.
Apply By Yourself
You can apply for this scholarship yourself. Below is a step-by-step process:
- Register at the China Scholarship Council website.
- Fill out all the application documents correctly (any mistakes can cause your application to be rejected).
- Find an agency to sponsor your application.
- Apply and receive the acceptance letter from the University (failing to do this can result in you being assigned to a University by the scholarship committee).
Preparing Application Documents
Preparing the required documents is an important step to get a Chinese scholarship. In addition to providing soft copies of documents, you may also be required to provide hard copies for mailing.
Some of the most basic requirements include:
- Notarized highest diploma
- Academic transcripts
- A study plan or research proposal
- Recommendation letters
- If planning to stay in China for more than 6 months, you must submit a photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (valid for 6 months)
- Applicants with the Pre-admission Letter/Admission Letter from designated universities should enclose the letter in the application package
Chinese universities may require other documents as needed.
Register for Free Scholarship Updates for 2021 Intake
China Admissions is an official partner of many top-ranking universities in China. Register on China Admissions to get real-time updates and tips about scholarships.
You can also have a look at the scholarships below.
More helpful resources