The Best LLM Programs in China in English for International Students
Why study Law in China?
China is one of the best countries to obtain a law degree. To be an expert in international law, one must be well-versed with Chinese law and its complex legal system. Many elite Chinese universities such as Tsinghua University and Peking University offer quality law degrees in a multitude of specialized areas such as commercial law, comparative law, international law and civil law.
Learn more about studying law in China here.
What is it like to study an LLM in China?
We interviewed students at Tsinghua University, you can read more about it here
We also made a video of these interviews have a look below:
Employment Prospects in China
This is a question that is often asked by students particularly from developed countries such as US, in deciding whether studying an LLM in China is the right move for them.
After discussing this with a dean of a Chinese law school and our experience in assisting students to study in China, our take is as follows.
The Chinese legal system is developing. The amount of lawyers is relatively small. There are 230,000 lawyers in China as of 2013. In US there are over 1.2 million lawyers as of 2011. The legal system in China is relatively small, but it is growing and changing as China’s economy develops.
It is important to remember that as a foreigner you are not be able to pass the bar exam in China, but you would be able to provide “legal consultancy services”. If you have already passed the bar in your home country, you can have an opportunity to work in an international role in a Chinese law firm working between China and your jurisdiction. Although, this is highly likely to open up in the future as part of China’s commitment as a member of the WTO.
You can read more about opportunities in China after graduating from a law degree here.
Admissions for LLM Programs in China
1. Apply online here.
2. Submit your application materials and pay for the application fee of your intended program.
3. The admissions committee at your university will review your application.
4. You will get an update from China Admissions about your application
5. An admission letter will be sent out to you so you can start your studies in China.
Applicants for Master’s program must have attained a bachelor’s degree and students who graduated from non-Chinese universities must hold a bachelor’s degree from a university accredited by the Ministry of Education of China.
1. Fully filled out application form online and the required documents will be listed on the application platform.
2. Graduation certificate and degree diploma
3. Official transcripts of your academic achievement up to the present, must be original documents or certified copies either in Chinese or English.
4. Personal statement letter
5. Two recommendation letters from your referees
6. Photocopy of your passport
Full List of LLM Programs in China in English
Here we have the full list of Master’s in Economics programs in China in English. Just click here for the full list.
There are many more LLM programs, you can search here