Study Medicine in China
China is now one of the fastest growing destinations for international students studying Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) in the world. It has approx 49 authorized medical colleges that accept international students for MBBS. According to statistics, more than 10,000 students take MBBS in China every year.
MBBS is a five-year program that aims to provide quality medical education experiences that enable graduates to become competent physicians with solid medical knowledge, adequate clinical skills, and professionalism.
Some of the top medical schools in China with the best English-taught MBBS programs include Shantou University Medical College (SUMC), Capital Medical University (CMU), Xiamen University (XMU) School of Medicine, Jiangsu University (JSU) Medical School and Guangzhou Medical University (GMU).
Why study medicine in China
In 2007, the Chinese Ministry of Education (MOE) published the “Interim Provisions for Quality Control Standards in Undergraduate Medical Education” in English for international students. This initiative guarantees a high-quality and standardized educational experience for international students.
There are numerous reasons to study MBBS in China, here are some of them:
- All 45 approved medical schools under the direct supervision of the Chinese Government are on the World Health Organization (WHO)’s “Directory of World Medical Schools” and are acknowledged by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO);
- Eligible to apply for various national medical screening tests such as the Medical and Dental Council of Pakistan (PMDC), the Medical Council of India (MCI), the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties ( SCHS), Council for Medical and Dental Professions, Medical Professions Council of South Africa, Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) in the United Kingdom and the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE);
- Top-notch medical professors, a wide-range of scholarships, affordable tuition fee and advanced medical facilities;
- Medical internships from top-tier hospitals that have unparalleled infrastructure and technology;
- Hones students’ research skills to contribute to China’s booming medical industry and;
- Unlimited opportunities after graduation.
The five-year curriculum includes basic courses in the first year, system-based basic and clinical courses, skill training courses and elective courses in the second and third years, clinical courses in the fourth year, clinical internship and elective courses in the fifth year.
Courses are taught in English by qualified basic science and clinical faculties, with established international textbooks and publications are as references for the students. The program effectively integrates basic medical science with advanced clinical training.
Depending on the college/university and the location in China, yearly tuition for MBBS ranges from US $3,200 to $11,000.
Search for Medicine Programs in China
Choose a city in China
Cost of living in Chinese cities
Degree levels in China
Admissions information by degree levels
Subjects to study
Careers in China
How to apply for a job in Chin
International students according to country of origin