Which application documents do I need to apply to Chinese Universities

In order to prepare for and kick off a successful application, one of the most important thing to know is what documents are needed in order to apply. This entirely depends on what you want to apply for. Generally speaking we can help you apply for four different categories of programs: non-degree, Bachelor, Master and PhD programs. As a rule of thumb you can remember that the higher the level of education, the more documents are required. The graphic below broadly summarises the document requirements:

Most non-degree programs that we help students to apply for are Chinese language courses and different semester programs. These programs usually require you to provide a copy of your passport and your latest graduation certificate. If you are looking to study a bachelor’s program, you need to provide the same documents as for non-degree programs. In addition to that, you are required to also provide a passport sized photo, an official transcript of grades, a personal statement, a TOEFL or IELTS certificate and a guarantor letter. Master’s programs have the same document requirements as bachelor’s programs. In addition it is necessary to provide two letters of recommendation. These letters should be written and signed by your professor/employer and contain their contact details. PhD studies require the same documents as master’s programs but require you to also provide a research proposal. Please note, that for PhD studies you will also have to contact a supervisor. We can help you finding a supervisor (more info here).

What is a guarantor statement?

A guarantor is a person who will help you in case of financial or medical emergency. The guarantor statement is mostly signed by a close relative of yours. You have to submit it because the University needs to know that in case of emergency there will be a person who will take responsibility for you.

Can I study without having a TOEFL or IELTS certificate?

For degree programs taught in english a TOEFL or IELTS certificate is needed. However, there are some. If you are a native english speaker then you don’t need any english certificate. If you are a non-native speaker, many universities don’t require a TOEFL/IELTS certificate if the medium of instruction of your previous education was english. In this case you will need to provide a statement of the university or school that proves that the medium of instruction was english (this is often documented on the graduation certificate already). Very few universities also accept other english certificates for specific programs.

Get ready to apply!


In some cases universities require additional documents. This usually has one of the two reasons:

  1. The university has unique document requirements
  2. The university wants to better understand and evaluate your background

If the university has unique document requirements, we will inform you about it. However in some cases the university asks for other additional documents to better understand and evaluate your background. For this it is hardly possible to prepare but the universities usually don’t ask for anything that is very hard to obtain.


Now you know how to prepare well for your application! The next step is to find a suitable program here and apply for it here (please keep the deadlines in mind). You can always count on our help and guidance, if there is anything you feel unsure about! You can reach out to us under the following mail address: apply@china-admissions.com

4 responses to “Which application documents do I need to apply to Chinese Universities

    1. Thank you for your question, please can you ask on our China Admissions Community website. Its easier for us to help you there, and other students can also help you too

  1. As of now l don’t have a passport but will process it ,when l get the admission to your university .I agree to all your conditions .

Comments are closed.

Forgot your password?

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

{% csrf_token %}

Back to log-in