China X Student Visa
The China X Student Visa is issued to an applicant who comes to China for study, advanced studies or intern practice for a period of more than six months.
An applicant who comes to China to study, short-term advanced studies or intern practice for a period of no more than six months shall apply for an (F) Visa.
Ask assistance from China Admissions
If you have any questions about the China X Student Visa process, contact China Admissions and we will assist you.
What are the requirements?
1. Valid and original passport with at least one blank visa page. It should also be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of application.
2. Visa Application Form with one passport photo. Only color photo with light background like light blue and white is acceptable.
3. Approved Foreign Student Visa Application Form (JW201 or JW202) issued by the authorized Chinese unit, and an enrollment letter from the Chinese school.
4. Physical Examination Certificate for foreign citizen who plans to study in China for more than one year.
5. Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa for those born in China who apply for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport.
How do I apply for the China X Student Visa?
You can apply for an X visa (study visa) in your home country. In order to do this, you will need to go to the Visa Office of the Chinese embassy in your home country with your admissions letter, Visa Application Form (also known as the JW202 form) and other requirements.
Mailed applications are not accepted and will be refused. Please note that it is no longer possible for students to come to Beijing on a tourist visa (L visa) and then convert this into a study (X) visa when in Beijing.
How long is the processing time?
For regular processing time, it usually takes 4 working days. If you want express service, it takes 2 to 3 working days with a $20 fee charged for each visa. A same day rush service is also available, with additional service fee of $30 for one working day process time.
Notes to remember
- Incorrectly filled out visa application forms may cause a delay in processing or refusal of the requested visa.
- China X Student Visa’s are valid for one entry, three months. The visa holder should undergo residential formalities in the local public security department within thirty days of entry in China.
- American citizens may apply multiple entry (X) visas valid for 12 months.
- Other relevant documents may be required by Visa officers.
Request free information
Please complete the form below.
More helpful resources:
3 Steps to Apply for the Chinese Student Visa
Study in China Guide
What courses can I Study in China?
How Much Does it Cost to Study in China?
I Have Submitted My Application to China Admissions, NOW WHAT?
How to Apply for Scholarship 2020
Can I Work While Studying In China?