If you’re an international student in China, it’s possible to transfer to another university, but it won’t be easy. Most universities in China don’t accept transfer students, but there are a selected few that do. Learn what steps you need to take to request for university transfer in this article.
Transfer from one Chinese university to another
There are a few universities in China that accept transfer students, but even then, there’s no guarantee that you’d get accepted. The decision is done on a case-by-case basis. You also need to address two general concerns from Chinese universities, which includes:
- The reason for transfer. Is your reason for the transfer valid and true? Is the student on good terms with the previous university? Do they approve of the transfer?
- Acceptance of course credits. What subjects have this student taken? How far along is he/she in her program? What are the credits equivalent to? Will the student be able to keep up?
Because of these reasons, MOST Chinese universities do not process transfer students.
Another layer of complexity is that your current university must accept your request to transfer. Monetary penalties are possible, especially for students on scholarships who are not able to finish their program. The receiving university must accept the transfer request by analyzing if the credits and courses match or not. In the end, you will need the approval and consultation of two schools.
Transfer from a foreign university to a Chinese university.
It is possible for students already studying in a university outside China to be transferred to a Chinese university. Nevertheless, the same considerations above apply. Some Chinese universities do accept transfer students and decisions are done on a case-by-case basis.
What you need to do
Although there’s no guarantee, there are some things that you can do for the new university to acknowledge your request for transfer. Here are some of them:
- A formal letter clearly explaining the reason and answer to the above questions.
- A consent letter from the previous university to say that they approve your transfer.
- An official transcript of records to show courses that you have taken so they can be evaluated.
- You may also need detailed syllabi from your courses, or other materials.
- Maintain good grades
- If you are in China, the latest residence permit and other visa information may also need to be prepared
If you have prepared all the documents above, we can help analyze your case and check which Chinese universities accept transfer students, and give you options. However, we cannot guarantee 100% acceptance since the final decision is made by the university.
Due to the complexity of the process, we will charge a service fee of US$ 100. You will also have to pay the university application fee. In case your request for transfer is not accepted, we can help you to start from year one.
To request transfer, apply to your preferred university/program here, upload your documents and let us know your application ID. We will then review whether we think there is a chance you can transfer.
At China Admissions, your success at a Chinese university is our goal. Here are some other resources to help you in the application process.
The Top 5 Reasons Your Application Will Be Rejected, and How to Get Accepted
Study in China: The Ultimate Guide for International Students
FAQ: Why Apply Early?
Step-by-step Guide on How to apply to Chinese Universities with China Admissions
- $10 Million USD Funding to Start or Grow A Business in Beijing - April 21, 2022
- 한국 학생들을 위한 중국 대학교 입시 설명회 – 4월 16일 토요일 오후 5시 (베이징 시간 오후 4시) - April 14, 2022
- 중국어 또는 중국 유학에 관심이 있으신가요? - April 14, 2022