Should I take a university preparatory program?
This is probably one of the most common questions we hear from international students. If you’re asking this question as well, then this article is for you.
Starting your journey in China as an international student is a momentous experience. The thought of being in a completely new country and having a fresh start can be quite the excitement. However, the transition to studying in China can also be a challenging process.
This is where a preparatory program comes in. By taking this program, you will be able to adapt to the academic, social and cultural challenges that you might face in China.
Check out preparatory programs offered in Chinese universities, and how they can help you!
What is a preparatory program?
A preparatory program is a non-degree course that basically prepares you for a smooth transition to your new life in China. This program is carefully designed based on your needs as an international student, with consideration for future studies at a Chinese university.
Most Chinese universities require international students to have a certain degree of knowledge on the Chinese language and pass the Chinese proficiency test or HSK. Therefore, it’s beneficial to enroll in a preparatory course for one to two years.
Once you complete the program, most universities will issue a certificate indicating that you passed all its components qualifying you for a degree program. Some universities even offer guaranteed admission or exemption from the entrance exams upon completion of a preparatory program.
Why do you need to enroll in a preparatory program?
When you enroll in a preparatory program, you get to:
- adjust well to the educational system in China as well as your university environment;
- learn and improve your Chinese language skills;
- immerse yourself in Chinese culture and traditions;
- familiarize yourself with basic information and theories of your chosen degree and be prepared when your formal studies begin;
- increase your chances of educational success in China and;
- feel comfortable and confident in being in a new learning environment.
English-based Preparatory Program in China
One of the best preparatory programs in China is the International Foundation Program offered by South China University of Technology (SCUT).
The program will help improve your Chinese proficiency, widen your professional knowledge and increase your intercultural communication skills. All courses are conducted in English by SCUT lecturers and experienced English-speaking lecturers. You are guaranteed admission to English-taught undergraduate degree programs at SCUT if they successfully complete the program.
Start your application to the International Foundation Program at SCUT with China Admissions. We will help fast-track your application as you start your new journey in China.
- 9 Fascinating Things About Christmas In China - November 24, 2022
- China Scholarships – The 2023 Guide for International Students - November 10, 2022
- Study MBBS in China: Admissions for 2023! - August 12, 2022