Learning mandarin Chinese is one of the best investments you can make. Whether you want to use it for academic purposes, to increase your value on the job market or to gain a new perspective on life, speaking the most spoken language in the world delivers many opportunities. Learning mandarin Chinese is one of the best investments you can make.
Like everyone else you are probably wondering about how long you should study, how much a program costs, the best universities to apply to and how to apply. Don’t worry, this article gives you all the info you need in order to get application-ready!
Also make sure to check out our most updated comprehensive guide about studying Chinese in China, and if you have any questions then please contact us by sending us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we are glad to help you.
How much time should I spend learning the language?
This depends on what your plans are and your current skill level. Most universities usually differentiate between three to four skill levels: beginner/elementary, intermediate, advanced.
Below you can see some estimates on how much progress you can expect from studying for one semester. You can expect similar results from most universities and you can learn even faster if you study full time (30-40 hours per week).
If you are a beginner and want to learn Chinese to get along in daily life in China, one or two semesters are surely enough to help you reach that goal. You may not be able to study a bachelor’s, master’s or PhD program in Chinese language with that but don’t worry, our database exclusively focuses on English taught programs. If you want to study a degree program in Chinese, then you will need to reach at least the level of HSK4 or HSK5 (depending on the university). We are also happy to help you find Chinese taught degree programs.
Which University is the best for me?
This mainly depends on the time and money you want to invest. The three golden options that we can recommend are China University of Political Sciences and Law, Beijing Language and Culture University and Mandarin House.
China University of Political Sciences and Law
Provides a good education which is very affordable. The university offers a one semester programs only, starting in February and September each year. With relatively low tuition fees and extremely cheap dorms, this is the best option if you don’t have much money to spend. The program details can be found here.
Beijing Language and Culture University
Is one of the most popular choices! The university offers a variety of short-term programs which range between four weeks and one semester. Long-term programs range between one and four years. BLCU’s programs start at various different points each year. The application fee for short-term programs is $90 USD and for long-term programs $120 USD.
Double rooms are available for 50 rmb ($8 USD) per night, big double rooms cost 80 rmb ($12 USD) and single rooms are available for 150 rmb ($24 USD). BLCU charges a bit more but still provides an affordable high quality education. If you value a highly professional teaching and the flexibility to choose between different programs, BLCU is the right option for you.
If you have a tight schedule or very spcific ideas in terms of your goals, Mandarin House is probably the best option. The school charges much more than other universities or schools but offers a big variety of programs such as business chinese, part-time chinese, private tutoring and much more. Lessons can be bought from 2190 rmb ($330 USD) per week but can also be much higher if you order private lessons for example. Mandarin House offers shared apartments with private rooms or private apartments. The prices for the shared apartments start from 1690 rmb ($250 USD) per week. You can find all programs offered by Mandarin House here.
How do I apply?
You can apply in four simple steps
1) Find the right program: You can choose programs from this article or find others in our database.
2) Apply online: Just click the “apply now” button on the program’s webpage or click here to start your application. You only need these four documents. Click the “submit application” button at the confirmation section and we will review your documents.
3) Pay the application fee: Most application fees range from $80-$150 USD. The exact ammount as well as the available payment methods will be displayed at the payment section of your online application. The application fee is not a service fee charged by us, it is a fee charged by the university to process your application (find out more). Our application service is free of charge!
4) Get your visa: As soon as the university has approved your application, they will send your admission documents to you via express delivery. You can apply for a visa at your local Chinese embassy with these documents. The documents also contain clear instructions on how to apply for the visa.
Why apply through China Admissions?
We help you throughout the whole process. From finding the right program up until your arrival, we are there for you if you need us! Make sure to check out the top three reasons to start your application with us.
Some frequently asked questions:
- Which programs can I apply for March 2018 intake?
- Which is the right Chinese language program for me and how do I apply?
- What documents are required?
- Why do I have to pay an application fee?
- How can I pay the application fee?
- Are there scholarships available?
- How can I apply for PhD programs
- Other FAQ’s
- Introducing University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) - April 1, 2021
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions About Scholarships in China - March 31, 2021
- Aerial Campus View of Southwest Jiaotong University - March 30, 2021