Jamaican medical students are increasingly looking abroad for opportunities to earn an affordable and valuable medical degree. Chinese universities stand out as a major destination for students from around the world, especially from the Caribbean! Chinese medical universities are an excellent option for Jamaican students. Offering high-quality courses, affordable tuition, and career benefits, read more about what Chinese universities can offer you here.
What is it like studying in China?
Listen to Jamaican student Kalicia share her story about studying at Shantou University Medical College:
Though the price range is similar, Chinese medical schools are cheaper than Jamaican schools overall, with a majority of programs under $10,000 USD per year. Even Masters and PhDs at Chinese universities may be only $7000-$10,000 USD, cheaper compared to other medical schools.
- Jamaican medical school tuition: $5,000 USD to $28,000 USD per year
- Chinese medical school tuition: $3,000 USD to $20,000 USD per year
Available Programs for International Students
In China, there are 45 medical schools that are licensed to provide English-language medical education to foreign students. An MBBS is the most popular degree for foreign students in China. This 6-year Bachelor’s program will train students in all necessary medical skills, including interning in a local Chinese hospital, and you will be licensed to practice medicine when you graduate.
There are many medical programs beyond MBBS. Chinese medical schools offer Master’s and PhD programs to international students in areas of specialized fields such as…
- Internal Medicine
- Mental Health & Psychiatry
Shantou University Medical College is one of the best schools with the best medical options for Jamaican students. See all their courses here.
See all medical programs at Chinese universities here.
Is a Chinese medical degree worth it for Jamaican students?
If you want to practice medicine in the Caribbean or elsewhere in the Americas, you want to make sure you’re going to a Chinese university that will give you the best opportunities to practice. Is a Chinese medical degree valuable in Jamaica?
Students who hold Chinese medical degrees can practice in Caribbean nations provided you take the CAMC Regional Registration Examination, which includes both theory and practical examinations. The practical exam portion is currently offered only in Jamaica, so Jamaican students are at a big advantage here.
Chinese Medical university graduates who pass the CAMC Exam can practice in the Caribbean countries of:
- Cayman Islands
- St. Kits & Nevis
- Antigua and Barbuda
- St. Lucia
- Trinidad & Tobago
- British Virgin Islands
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- Turks & Caicos
Chinese Medical School graduates are also able to practice in China and the US (provided you take the relevant exams). Chinese medical schools are recognized by the World Health Organization’s World Directory of Medical Schools,
Application Criteria and Documents
How can Jamaican students prepare to apply for Chinese medical schools? You need to know the eligibility criteria and documents necessary for your application.
- Step 1: Choose a degree level. Bachelor, Master, and PhD programs have different requirements
- Step 2: Choose a university. You can see all medical programs in China here, and sort them by Bachelor, Master, or PhD.
- Step 3: Click “Apply Now” to see the required documents for the various programs.
General requirements for Jamaican students to apply for Chinese medical schools:
- Have a valid degree from high school/accredited university
- Meet the age requirements of the program
- Minimum of 70% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB), and Math. Students must specifically have an excellent average grade in Biology to increase their acceptance rate
- Minimum of 70% in Mathematics
General documents needed for Jamaican students to apply for Chinese medical schools:
- Passport-size photo
- Photocopy of your passport
- Graduation diploma
- Official transcript of records in English/Chinese
- Personal statement
- English language certificate (TOEFL, IELTS, or IET)
- Proof of financial support
- Resume/CV (Here is how to write one)
Best medical schools for Jamaican students!
One of the top Chinese schools for Jamaican medical students is Shantou University Medical College! They offer English-taught programs for Bachelor’s, Master’s, and PhD. Shantou is a coastal city in China’s southeast Guangdong province with around 5 million inhabitants.
There are also scholarships available for SUMC students: Guangdong Government International Student Scholarship and multiple merit-based scholarships for incoming and continuing students.
See all SUMC programs here.