As one of the most powerful forces in the global market, China is also home to the finest medical universities in the world. In fact, China is a hot study-abroad destination for a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) degree among international students.
With health as the top priority of the Chinese government, medical universities are provided a generous education budget for research and development. In addition, China has a technologically advanced healthcare system and is a world leader in medical innovation.
If you’re a medical aspirant, find the complete requirements to study medicine in China in this article!
Why study MBBS in China?
Earlier this year, we’ve seen the COVID-19 outbreak happen in China. With a robust infrastructure industry, China built a modern makeshift emergency hospital in Wuhan city in a staggering 10 days!
The makeshift hospital has two floors, numerous isolation wards, 30 intensive care units and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities.
To further contain COVID-19, China mobilized its healthcare system, activated swift medical control protocols, sequenced the genetic makeup of the virus, and started developing test kits. COVID-19 has only increased the prevalence of public health and medical science in China and the government’s attention to studying medicine in China.
So, if you’re asking why you should study an MBBS in China, the answer is simple, China has:
- the most modern health facilities in the world;
- an excellent healthcare system and;
- exceptional medical universities where you can widen your knowledge and get the best practical experience.
In addition, Chinese medical universities are recognized worldwide and programs are offered at affordable rates. An MBBS in China is 70% cheaper than in the U.S. or U.K. Living expenses are also low, which makes it economical for international students.
For international students, there are numerous English-taught MBBS programs in China. Examples include the MBBS programs at Zhejiang University (ZJU), Xiamen University (XMU) and Shantou University Medical College (SUMC). Check out SUMC programs open for application this 2020.
Basic Eligibility Criteria to Study MBBS in China
- Minimum of 60% in Physics, Chemistry, Biology (PCB) in high school
- 18 years or above upon application
- Hold a high school diploma or above
List of Common Application Requirements for MBBS
- A signed international student application form from the medical university you’re applying for
- Personal statement (150 words, including brief self-introduction, motivations, and future plans after graduation, etc.)
- A curriculum vitae (including education experiences, work/volunteer/other experiences, etc.)
- Diplomas and transcripts
- Physical examination record with blood test results (completed in Chinese or English, bearing the hospital stamp)
- Recommendation letter (including recommender’s affiliation and position, signature, email, and telephone number)
- Valid passport
- Proof of financial support (Deposit Certificate/ Account Statement of the sponsor for the past 3 months issued by the bank on letterhead, with a minimum closing balance of USD 7,000 or equivalent. If the account holder is not yourself, provide the sponsor’s passport/proof of identity)
- Certified English or Chinese translation of the documents issued in a language other than English or Chinese.
Ready to study MBBS in China? Let China Admissions help you with your application! Our trained student counselors will provide you with professional guidance from document preparation to your safe arrival in China. Choose from any of the medical universities on our site!
For more in-depth, valuable and inspiring articles visit our blog. We’d also appreciate it if you share this article on social media.