If you’re heading to China as an international student, there are important apps that you need to download on your phone. Many of the apps you use back home such as Uber, Google Maps or Facebook are not usable in China.
So get your app store or play store open and download the 10 useful mobile apps for foreign students in China!
23 Best Apps For University Students In China
2. 淘宝 TaoBao(iOS/Android) Four words, Online Shopping + in China. It’s even more incredible than you could imagine. Shipped all the way to university within a few days. For expensive items such as mobiles, computers or original items TaoBao is not recommended. Instead, try using JD.com and TMall due their process of seller verification.
8. 大众点评 Dàzhòng diǎnpíng (iOS/Android) A app with user ratings for everything. Particularly useful for finding places to eat, from the high end to the hyper local. If you’re anywhere in China and looking for a bite to eat this app will help you finding something amazing. Can also book movie tickets, and order food to your doorstep, and loads more. Western equivalent: Yelp + Zomato + Foursquare + Google Maps
9. 滴滴出行 DiDi (iOS/Android) Chinese Uber, order a wide variety of taxis. A little infamous for having drivers struggle to locate you. Stand in very clear places and make sure your location pin matches where you are. You can also schedule taxi’s in advance. This German international student shares her experience using DiDi here.
10. 百度翻译 Baidu Translate (iOS/Android) Google translate isn’t blocked in China but Baidu translate might be better. Not for translation quality but rather for ease of use. Especially on iPhone, you can share highlighted text directly to the translation app.
13. Trip.com, formerly Ctrip (iOS/Android) Great app for booking flights and train tickets in China. Has a higher booking fee than other apps but is super easy to use. Until you’re confident with your chinese skills we recommend it.
17. Ofo (iOS/Android) The cheaper and more commonplace of the two big share bike companies. The bicycles can be a little unreliable at times, make sure to check the quality of the bike before you ride.
18. Netease Music (iOS/Android) Magical Chinese music app. Can stream pretty much anything for free, and for a small fee store the songs. Equivalent to Spotify + Apple Music + Deezer but possibly better.
22. CampNet (iOS) This application will auto login in your account to the tsinghua wifi networks. This is a huge timesaver.
Interesting Things About China!
- 30 fun facts about China – #8 will impress you!
- The most famous tree in China and the guy who looks after it.
- What it’s really like to study in China? Alicia, an exchange student from Germany reveals more
- Where do Chinese characters come from? Richard Sears, a world expert on Chinese characters from USA , explains
- 12 Unique Facts About Chinese Food That Will Surprise You
- 24 Amazing Facts About The Chinese Language That You Probably Didn’t Know!
- 20 Most Famous People From China