Ever wondered about the country where tradition meets technology, where you can explore ancient marvels hidden in the mountains, and where the food is an adventure in itself?
A land that is home to the majority of the pandas?
Well, guess no more!
Which country are we talking about?
It’s time to reveal the answer as we uncover 10 fascinating facts about China, a place that’s both ancient and modern, all at once!
1) During the Chinese New Year celebration, dogs receive special treats on a designated day.
2) The mortar used to bind the stones of the Great Wall was crafted using sticky rice!
3) Chinese white dolphins, residing off the coast of southern China, are frequently observed with a pink hue.
4) Chopsticks were originally used for cooking and not eating. It was developed about 5,000 years ago!
5) Toilet paper was originally invented in China, but it had an exclusive purpose—it was crafted solely for the emperor’s use. This early form of toilet paper illustrates China’s historical innovations in various aspects of daily life.
6) Hong Kong boasts more skyscrapers than any other city in the world.
7) China is home to half of the world’s pig population. Pigs are not only a vital part of China’s agricultural and culinary heritage but also a significant contributor to the country’s economy. This massive population of pigs plays a pivotal role in meeting the nation’s demand for pork, a staple in Chinese cuisine, and underscores China’s significance in global agriculture.
8) China boasts a high-speed rail network that’s ten times larger than Japan’s.
9) Popular websites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Google are inaccessible in China due to the country’s stringent internet censorship policies. Instead, China has its own domestic alternatives for various online services, showcasing the unique digital landscape within the nation.
10) In ancient China, soldiers occasionally wore armor crafted from paper.
As we wrap up our journey through these 10 captivating facts about China, we hope you’ve enjoyed the glimpse into this remarkable country’s diverse tapestry.
From its ancient history to its modern marvels, China continues to be a source of wonder and curiosity for people around the world. Whether you’re intrigued by its rich culture, breathtaking landscapes, or technological innovations, there’s no denying that China holds a special place in the global imagination.
So, until our next adventure, remember that the mysteries of this vast and dynamic nation are always waiting to be explored.
We’d love to hear what you find most intriguing about China. Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Top Universities in China
1) Tsinghua University
Tsinghua University was ranked highest among schools from China at 12th place (Times Higher Education World University Ranking performance in 2024).
The university is one of the nine tertiary institutions in the C9 League and, along with Peking University, is frequently regarded the top university in mainland China by most national and international rankings. With a motto of Self-Discipline and Social Commitment, Tsinghua University describes itself as being dedicated to academic excellence, the well-being of Chinese society and to global development.
2) Peking University
Peking University came in at second place at 14 (Times Higher Education World University Ranking performance in 2024).
Peking University has been famous for its student activities ever since the time of its foundation. Enjoying the full support from the university, students are encouraged to experience colorful campus lives. There are more than two hundred student-organized associations, and a range of student activities running year-round, which satisfy different demands of local and international students.
3) Shanghai JiaoTong University
Shanghai JiaoTong University was ranked at 43rd place (Times Higher Education World University Ranking performance in 2024).
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), as one of the higher education institutions which enjoy a long history and a world-renowned reputation in China, is a key university directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education (MOE) of the People’s Republic of China and co-constructed by MOE and Shanghai Municipal Government.
4) Fudan University
Fudan University was ranked at 44th place (Times Higher Education World University Ranking performance in 2024).
It was founded in 1905 and located in the cosmopolitan city of Shanghai. Fudan is a comprehensive multi-disciplinary research university with many highly-ranked majors and programs, and is a member of the C9 League, Universitas 21 and Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU).
5) Zhejiang University
University was ranked at 55th place (Times Higher Education World University Ranking performance in 2024).
Zhejiang University focuses on assiduous study and research, and science and technological innovation. It has launched a number of international high-end academic platforms and gathered masters, scholars and high-level research teams in various disciplines.
Want to Learn More About China?
You can learn about Chinese life, language, and culture by studying at a Chinese university!
- 3 Cheapest Chinese Language Programs in China for 2024 Intake - December 1, 2023
- China Opens Its Doors: Passport Holders from Six Countries Enjoy Visa-Free Entry in 2023-2024! - November 26, 2023
- Hong Kong Metropolitan University (HKMU) Admissions Guide for 2024 Intake - November 22, 2023