This is page is out of date as of 2023, and is archived.
Please check the main page here for the latest information.
Steps to Return to China for International Students
How can international students return to China? Here is the basic outline of general steps based on available information:
- You first need to be admitted to a Chinese university, accept the admissions offer, and confirm your enrollment. If you do not currently have admissions into a Chinese university you cannot travel to China on a student visa.
- As a student, you may be contacted by your university or the Chinese Embassy to your country with information about when and how you can return.
- We do not know which students will be contacted next. All information we know is on our main Covid page.
- You may need to submit information to your university, including your vaccine status, passport information, and whether you want to return or not.
- Once you are told you can begin the process to return to China, you then need to apply for a student X visa from the Chinese Embassy to your country.
- The university will send you forms you need, including the JW202 , original admissions certificate, Commitment to Return to China (sometimes called NOC), and any other proof from your university that you are verified to return.
- You will also need to fill out the visa application form from the Chinese Embassy’s website.
- You will need a valid passport to apply.
- Once you are given a student X visa, you will need to book a flight back to China.
- There is no longer any requirement for quarantine in China!
- You will need to follow China’s epidemic procedures before, during, and after you travel to China. The university or Chinese Embassy can give you full details.
- These procedures may include…
- Covid-19 Nucleic Acid tests taken within 7 days of boarding the flight.
- Obtain a Chinese digital ‘health code’ that verifies you are negative for Covid-19
- Negative Covid-19 nucleic acid tests within 48 hours of boarding the flight
- Wearing protective equipment on the plane (mask, goggles, gloves, hazmat suit)
- Taking Covid-19 tests in China
China Admissions cannot help you get a student visa or book a flight to return to China.
We only share this information to help you understand the procedures you may face as an international student.
*Important Note: All of these steps are general and based on information received as of publication time. You must always follow the requirements of the Chinese Embassy and your Chinese University above any information on this page.
This is part of our daily tracker of Covid updates for international students of Chinese universities.
- When can international students go to China? (Updated) - July 6, 2023
- FAQ: Why Apply Early for 2024 Intake? - June 19, 2023
- Career Opportunities After Graduating from United International College - December 28, 2022