Gao Yanming, Chairman of Hebei Ocean Shipping Company in Hebei Province and also a member of the National Committee of Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) proposed to tighten admission standards for international students in China.
This proposal has gained the support of Chinese citizens. But experts noted that China has already made strategic adjustments to regulate admissions of international students. Here are some important points in Gao’s proposal:
- All international students must comply with the required credits for admission, except for students funded by foreign governments, who can have lower scores.
- Chinese universities to do away with pursuing quota of enrolled international students.
- Standardize and optimize scholarship policies.
Gao’s proposal has attracted 140 million views on Sina Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter. Chinese experts on the other hand, suggested that Chinese universities have actually been making steps to elevate the standard of admissions for international students.
Tsinghua University for example, have turned to the submission of a personal statement online since 2016 instead of using paper-based exams. This has significantly improved the quality of students.
“Now China has certain advantage and competitiveness in enrolling international students, including some attractive scholarships, but it is still in an earlier stage compared with some developed countries,” said Li Jinliang, director of the International Cooperation and Exchange Office at Tsinghua University.
In 2018, 492,185 foreign students, from 196 countries and regions, attended 1,004 Chinese universities and colleges in the mainland, a big increased jump from 2017. According to experts, this statistic will continue to increase as the world recovers from the coronavirus pandemic.
Chinese political advisor proposes to tighten admission standards for international students. (2021, March 7). Global Times. https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202103/1217634.shtml
- Introducing the Master of Global Management Program at Tongji-SEM - April 2, 2021
- Is It Worth Studying MBBS In China? - April 1, 2021
- Application Deadline Reminder for SJTU Global Elite of Business Administration (EBA) Program - March 31, 2021