Peking University is one of the top schools in China and in the world. Founded in 1898, the university has over 100 years of experience providing top-tier education to China’s elite students and excellent international students from around the world. The campus is well-known across China for being one of the most beautiful places to study, combining traditional architecture and pagodas with modern facilities and convenient student services.
Currently, around 6,857 long-term international students from 116 countries were enrolled on Peking University, including 2,783 pursuing degrees.
Due to its top-tier academics and global prestige, Peking University is one of the most popular and competitive universities for international students to apply to in 2024. Here is everything you need to know about how to apply to Peking University in one convenient application guide 2024!
Application Deadlines for Peking 2024
For Graduate (Master’s Degree and Ph.D. Degree) programs
1st Round: October 16 – December 15, 2023
2nd Round: January 1 – January 31, 2024
Note: For details on English-taught master’s programs, please refer to the respective program’s application guidelines. The deadline for the English-taught doctoral program applications is February 28, 2024.
For Guanghua MBA program
|Round||Application Deadline||Decision Released|
|Round 1||October 13, 2023||By early November, 2023|
|Round 2||December 8, 2023||By late December, 2023|
|Round 3||February 23, 2024||By middle March, 2024|
|Round 4||March 15, 2024||By early April, 2024|
|Round 5||April 19, 2024||By middle May, 2024|
What can international students study at PKU?
International students at Peking University can take the following courses:
(1) Undergraduate or graduate degree-granting programs (Chinese or English taught)
(2) Visiting students program (non-degree granting)
(3) Pre-university program
(4) Short-term language courses or Chinese studies programs
Bachelors programs are 4 years, Masters programs are 2-3 years, and Doctoral programs are 4 years.
Students can take courses in Chinese or English.
For a complete list of PKU courses, scroll down!
Eligibility Requirements for Peking University 2024
Peking University has strict eligibility requirements that you must meet to be admitted:
- Minimum age is 18 years old
- Foreign nationality
- If you used to be a Chinese citizen/parents are Chinese citizens, click here for help.
- You must have renounced your Chinese citizenship and lived abroad for at least 2 years
- Excellent academics
- High School/previous degree transcripts
- National exam of your country
- Certificate of New HSK 6 Exam for Chinese-taught courses
- 180+ points for undergrad,
- 200+ for postgrad science,
- 210+ for postgrad humanities
- English-language proficiency exam
- TOEFL: 75+ (undergraduate), 100+ (iBT, graduate programs)
- IELTS: 6.5+ (undergraduate), 7.0+ (graduate programs
- PKU Entrance Exam for Undergraduates, Passing Grade
- Subjects: Chinese language, English, Mathematics
- Students with very high SAT, ACT, IB, or A-Level scores may be exempted
Application Documents for Peking University 2024
- Valid Passport
- 2-inch passport style photo
- Complete high school transcripts
- Complete transcripts of all previous degrees
- Graduation diploma for high school/all previous degrees (or pre-graduation letter, for students who will graduate in mid-2024)
- Personal statement
- English-language exam
- GRE score for graduate programs (315+ points)
- HSK 6 Exam score (for Chinese taught programs)
If the Chinese proficiency does not meet the required standard of the target course of study, students may either take English-taught undergraduate courses for one or two semesters, or learn Chinese at School of Chinese as a Second Language for one or two semesters.
- Birth certificate and both parents’ nationality proof documents
- Including certificate for permanent residence
- If you/your parents are former Chinese citizens, you will need
- Proof of renunciation of Chinese nationality
- Proof of residence abroad of at least 2 years
- Peking University application form
- 2 recommendation letters
- Written by teachers/professors
- Signed by the letter-writer
- Written in English or Chinese
PKU Application Process 2024
The PKU application process is very standard.
- Collect application materials
- Online application
- Pay the application fee (800 RMB)
- Submit application materials
- Sit the Entrance Examination (for undergraduates)
- Interview (optional)
- Final result released
We recommend applying as early as possible. 2-3 months before the final deadline is best.
If you want personalized help applying to Peking University and navigating the difficult application requirements, we recommend our Elite or Tier 1 services which are specifically designed for top students applying to very competitive programs. The services include personalized fast-track support, interview preparation, and more.
Choose a Program at PKU
- How to Communicate and Meet People in China 2024 - December 3, 2023
- 6 Best Chinese Language Textbooks For Total Beginners - November 28, 2023
- Discover The University of Nottingham Ningbo China in 2024! - November 27, 2023