Peking University School of Transnational Law (PKU STL) is unique among law programs in China: the cross-cultural and cutting-edge law curriculum combined with Peking University’s resources provides a truly unmatched legal education for international students. An LLM degree (Master of Law) from PKU STL will confidently prepare students for the future, impart practical skills necessary for cross-cultural success, and teach deep understandings of Chinese and Western legal traditions.
What do students love about studying an LLM at the Peking University School of Transnational Law?
If you want to skip straight ahead to applying…click here!
5 – Exquisite location and campus in Shenzhen, China
Located in the south of China minutes from Hong Kong, Shenzhen is a Chinese boomtown that is growing rapidly in multiple industries like tech, finance, law, and international trade. The STL building is located on PKU’s Shenzhen campus, bordering the campus plaza and beautiful Dashahe River.
Aside from the vibrant, dynamic city of Shenzhen, law students at PKU STL will get access to high-quality facilities like a moot court, law library, terraces and reading gardens, and ample study space.
4 – One of China’s top-ranked universities
Peking University is the top-ranked university in China and ranked #2 in Asia. With a deep connection to China’s own past and history of high-quality education, the Peking University name is widely recognized across China and the world. Founded in 2001, the Shenzhen Graduate School reflects the PKU tradition of ambition and excellence. Students will be able to study under the renowned PKU name and have access to its resources and connections, all while living a unique experience in Shenzhen.
3 -PKU STL classes emphasize hands-on, real-world learning
- Unique method of instruction: “serious, reflective study of actual cases accompanied by intensely interactive class sessions in which professors question and challenge students”
- Courses cover a range of local and intl law subjects: from China-Africa investment arbitration to legal theory, global anti-corruption law to Chinese IP law.
Listen to what Nicholas Kihangire, LL.M. student at PKU STL, says about how the real-world opportunities at PKU STL help him connect China and Africa through the legal sector:
2 – Cutting-edge and modern curriculum
LLM students will find their program prepares them for complex international legal practice in a world where different legal systems often intersect. The focus is on training lawyers and other legal professionals to not only have academic knowledge but also skills that they can successfully apply in a changing and complex world.
PKU STL curriculum focuses on these main sets of skills and knowledge:
- transnational law and practice
- cross-cultural competence
- the ability to contend with the complex legal and factual issues characteristic of advanced economies based on technological innovation and global financial services
- the professional responsibilities of lawyers in these contexts.
1 – Plenty of graduate opportunities
PKU is ranked third in Asia for graduate employability and 19th in the world. Graduates are backed by a solid educational background and go on to inspiring careers in different fields around China and the world. PKU STL graduates with an LLM degree go on to work in the private sector, public sector, public interest legal work, and legal academia.
Listen to what LLM graduate Alejandra Tapia has to say about her rapid career advancement after earning an LLM degree from PKU STL:
Apply to PKU School of Transnational Law
To study an LLM degree at PKU STL, students must have a Law degree (J.D., J.M., or LL.B.), or be licensed to practice law in their home, or have masters-level degree in a related area with a significant law background. Applicants must also demonstrate English-language competency. For more information on applying for the LLM program, click here.
For the Fall 2022 Intake, applications are due March 31, 2022. Learn more and apply here!
- How to Communicate and Meet People in China 2024 - December 3, 2023
- 6 Best Chinese Language Textbooks For Total Beginners - November 28, 2023
- Discover The University of Nottingham Ningbo China in 2024! - November 27, 2023