Introduction to the Program
The MBBS Program at Fudan University is a six-year Bachelor’s degree program taught in English.
About Fudan University
Fudan University was founded in 1905 and located in the cosmopolitan city of Shanghai. Fudan is a comprehensive multi-disciplinary research university with many highly-ranked majors and programs, and is a member of the C9 League, Universitas 21 and Association of Pacific Rim Universities (APRU). For more info visit the page here.
About the Program
According to the “Provisional Regulations on Quality Control Standards of English-Taught Medical Undergraduate Education for International Students in China”, the Ministry of Education of China has approved Fudan University as one of thirty universities in China permitted to enroll international students in English-taught undergraduate programs in medicine. To promote international education, Fudan University began enrolling international students in the English-taught undergraduate medical program in fall 2008. The program aims to produce high-caliber medical graduates with the solid medical knowledge, competent clinical skills, and professionalism while giving due consideration to the possible needs for them to serve in countries outside of China. Graduates of the program will have the ability to work in medical and health institutions, making meaningful contributions to the areas of patient care, education, and research.
The program is taught completely in English and follows the principles of consolidating academic knowledge, with emphasis on technical skills, interdisciplinary studies, and clinical practice.
Offered by the Shanghai Medical College of Fudan University, this program is open to international students intending to pursue the science and practice of medicine. Students who excel will have the opportunity to participate in overseas clinical internship programs. After completing the required number of credits, students will be conferred a diploma from Fudan University, and qualified students will receive a degree of Bachelor of Medicine and the Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS). Graduates will have the opportunity to register for medical licensing exams in accordance with the requirements of the relevant regulatory bodies of the countries in which they choose to practice.
Start Date of the Program
High school graduate or above, qualified for university entrance, medically sound foreigners (applicants with color weakness and color blindness are not eligible to apply).
Emigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan applying as international students must have obtained their current foreign citizenship before April 30, 2014. In addition, the applicant must have lived abroad for at least 2 years during the period between April 30, 2014, and April 30, 2018.
- Application Form with the applicant’s photo and signature (photo must have been taken within the past six months)
- Diploma of highest degree conferred or proof of impending graduation (for applicants in their final year of study) (Original or notarized copy, with notarized Chinese or English translation, if original not in Chinese or English)
- Transcripts of highest degree conferred (original or notarized copy, with notarized Chinese or English translation, if original not in Chinese or English)
- Certified copy of TOEFL (IBT) score of 90 or above or IELTS (Academic) score 6.5 or above, taken within two years prior to application date (only for applicants from non-English speaking countries)
- Photocopy of valid passport identification page. Passport must be an ordinary passport and be valid for at least six months from the application time until September 30, 2018. Applicants currently residing in China must include a copy of the page containing a valid visa or residence permit.
- The Personal statement, no more than 2000 words in English or Chinese, including (but not limited to) motivation for application and details on academic skills, community activities, awards received, personal strengths, study plan, and life goals.
- Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English from whom can attest to the quality of his/her academic performance and scholastic potential. The letters must include referees’ phone number and email address.
- Applicants who are not 18 years old before September 1, 2018, must submit a Guarantee Statement, which can be downloaded from this link. The guarantor should be an adult, living in Shanghai with a stable source of income.
- Emigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan must submit proof of naturalization and copy of entry and exit stamps on passports from the past four years or evidence of residing abroad for at least two of the last four years*.
- Applicants who are not emigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan, but have spent two or more of the last four years* in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan as a resident or student, must submit evidence of being foreign citizens at birth.
* “Last four years” is defined as the time period between April 30, 2014, and April 30, 2018.
* Applicants may send additional documents which may demonstrate their comprehensive abilities along with the required documents, for example, award certificates, admission notices from other universities, etc.
* Additional application documents may be required when necessary.
Curriculum (for reference only)
1. Bai Xian Asian Future Leaders Scholarship
The application may be submitted on the website of Bai Xian Asia Institute. Please visit http://www.bxai.org/ and http://iso.fudan.edu.cn/ for more detailed information.
2. Shanghai Government Scholarship (Type B)
Two of the most excellent applicants who are finally admitted to the program will be awarded Shanghai Government Scholarship (Type B) and can be exempted from the tuition fee.
The tuition fees are RMB 75,000 per year. The total for the 6-year program is 450,000 RMB.
Fudan Foreign Student Dormitory is constituted by the Main building and the Supplementary building. For further information on the accommodation visit the accommodation page here.