Westlake University in Hangzhou, China is quickly becoming world-renowned for their globally respected faculty and for being a hub of interdisciplinary research opportunities. Over 95% of Westlake faculty have previously held positions, or studied, at world-class universities including MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, and Stanford. Westlake is also well-known for seeking out collaboration with both budding research scientists and world-famous leaders from the science, engineering, and technology fields.
In 2023, Westlake is expanding opportunities to collaborate with these brilliant scientists and is offering a unique opportunity to gain valuable experience that can be used in professional careers or as inspiration to apply to Ph.D. programs. The 2023 Summer Graduate Research Internship is open to current international master’s degree students, or international researchers who have previously completed a master’s degree program.
Research internships in the program span across Westlake’s three academic schools – the School of Life Sciences, the School of Science, and the School of Engineering – and closely align with research being conducted in the Ph.D. in Biology, Ph.D. in Chemistry, Ph.D. in Physics, and Ph.D. in Electronic Science and Technology programs. Research interns in the program gain access to opportunities normally reserved for on-campus Ph.D. students and have the opportunity to work alongside advanced undergraduate students, current Ph.D. students, post-doctoral researchers, and Principal Investigators.
About the Summer Scientific Research Internship
Westlake University’s Summer Graduate Research Internship is a highly competitive research-oriented program that provides international master’s degree students, or international researchers who have previously completed a master’s degree program, an opportunity to work alongside internationally respected faculty on cutting-edge research in the science, engineering, and technology fields.
- All internship programing is conducted in English.
- The Summer Graduate Research Internship is a 4-week program that lasts from mid-July to mid-August 2023.
- Interns who are accepted into the program will have the chance to work directly with Westlake’s well-known faculty on doctoral-level research.
- Internships are available for 87 different research projects located in 61 different world-class laboratories or research centers.
- Internship research areas are housed by the School of Life Sciences, the School of Science, and the School of Engineering.
- Research topics in the program are wide ranging and applicants are encouraged to apply to research that closely aligns with their personal, professional, and academic goals.
Click on the links below for more information about each internship opportunity, research areas, and the faculty who are hosting the opportunity:
Faculty Information and Research Internship Opportunities in the School of Life Sciences
Faculty Information and Research Internship Opportunities in the School of Science
Faculty Information and Research Internship Opportunities in the School of Engineering
Program Fees & Financial Assistance
Westlake is committed to reducing financial barriers for their students and programs. The following program costs have been reduced to ¥0 for the 2023 year:
- Application Fee = ¥0
- Program Fee = ¥0
- On-campus Housing = ¥0
Note: However, interns are responsible for their own travel costs to and from Westlake University. Interns are also responsible for their food costs for the duration of the program. On-campus dining for 4-weeks is approximately ¥500 RMB to ¥1,500 RMB.
Westlake’s Summer Research Internship Focuses on Professional Development
Work with leading international researchers and gain firsthand experience with the cutting-edge research being conducted at Westlake University.
- Gain valuable experience and skills in your chosen field. Apply theoretical knowledge to real-world problems, learn new interdisciplinary research techniques, and develop cutting-edge knowledge that is shaping the future of science and technology.
- Enhance your intercultural communication skills. Summer Research Internships are conducted completely in English. However, you will be joining an international campus and a diverse research laboratory at Westlake University. This intercultural experience provides a great environment to work on intercultural communication skills while doing research in China. In addition, at Westlake Chinese and English are both primary working languages. There will be opportunities to practice Chinese language skills on campus or while traveling to destinations in beautiful Hangzhou.
- Build professional networks and connections. Networking with other researchers and professionals in your field could lead to future research collaborations, career opportunities, or further academic pursuits.
- Improve future job and academic prospects. The Summer Research Internship program can enhance your resume and give you a competitive edge in the job market.
How To Apply
You can apply to the internship here.
- a valid passport
- a current master’s student or recent graduate of a master’s program
- A photocopy of your passport
- A Personal Statement of approximately 1,000 words, written in English. The personal statement should include an explanation of motivations for doing a research project at Westlake, the reasons why you would like to do research in the laboratory you are applying to, and which Westlake faculty you would like to intern with. Your personal statement should also outline how doing an internship at Westlake will help you with your personal, professional, or academic goals
- All transcripts (original or notarized copy in English or Chinese language) showing your studies for bachelor’s degree and master’s degree (Note: Westlake accepts unofficial transcripts for this program)
- Evidence of English language proficiency
- Academic research achievements
- Certificates of awards for extracurricular scientific and technological activities
*** Important Note: to apply to this program, submit all application materials as one PDF file.
1st Round Deadline: June 5th, 2023
Start Your Application
About Westlake University
- China’s Most Beautiful Universities in 2024 - November 19, 2023
- Introducing BNU-HKBU United International College: Liberal Arts Education in China - October 11, 2023
- Why Choose China? Students Share Their 12 Top Reasons - September 15, 2023