If you have a passion for all things finance, one country offers a promising jumpstart to a thriving career. China, being the world’s second-largest economy and the largest financial market in the world, offers students from all over the world valuable opportunities to pursue a career in the financial industry. And one of the best programs to prepare you for the challenges and opportunities of the global financial industry is the Master of Finance program at Fudan University.
Whether you want to work in investment banking, wealth management, private equity, or any other area of finance, you may be wondering the best way to achieve your goals. What skills and traits will you require? What job positions and sectors can you work in? Let’s explore the career opportunities you could enjoy as a graduate of the Master of Finance program at Fudan University, including the graduate employment statistics that speak for themselves.
About Fudan University
Fudan University is one of the top universities in China and Asia, ranked 34th in the world by QS World University Rankings 2022. It is also a member of the prestigious C9 League, China’s equivalent of the Ivy League. The Master of Finance program, offered by the School of Management, is a two-year full-time program that cultivates application-oriented graduates with professional ethics and a global vision in finance. With a focus on both theoretical foundations and practical applications, Fudan University collaborates with universities in the US – UCLA and select faculty from Princeton University – to offer a program that continues to propel graduates to many successes in their financial career.
Benefits of the Master of Finance Program at Fudan University
Some of the benefits of the Master of Finance program at Fudan University are:
- Learn the latest knowledge from world-class faculty through interactive lectures, real-life case studies, and integrative projects.
- Get the opportunity to study at one of the top universities in China and Asia, ranked 34th in the world by QS World University Rankings 2022.
- Earn a study certificate from UCLA or Princeton University professors, in addition to the Master’s degree certificate from Fudan University.
- Develop fundamental knowledge of finance and Fin-Tech, and the ability to integrate this knowledge across the industry.
- Acquire effective problem-solving skills and an innovative mind.
- Choose from two specializations: Financial Engineering and International Finance, according to your interests and career goals.
- Be encouraged to participate in extra-curricular activities, such as lectures by industry experts, company visits, alumni mentorship, and internships.
- Benefit from the extensive network of collaboration that the School has with leading companies in the financial industry, which could lead to employment opportunities after graduation.
The Master of Finance degree opens up a wealth of career opportunities in the finance industry. There are four main areas of finance: banks, institutions, public accounting, and corporate. A Masters degree can help you to build your expertise in a specific area, for example:
- Finance Careers: These positions involve analyzing market trends, developing investment strategies, and providing advice to individuals or organizations. You can pursue roles such as a financial analyst, planner, or consultant.
- Investment Banking: If you enjoy working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, investment banking might be your ideal path. Investment bankers assist clients with mergers and acquisitions, IPOs (initial public offerings), corporate restructuring, and debt/equity financing.
- Corporate Finance: Many companies require professionals who can manage their financial operations effectively. In corporate finance roles, you would be responsible for budgeting, forecasting cash flow, analyzing investments/projects for profitability, and risk assessment.
- Risk Management: With the increasing complexity of financial markets, risk management has become crucial in various industries. Risk managers or analysts at banks or insurance companies play an important role in identifying potential risks and developing mitigation strategies.
- Asset Management: If you have an interest in managing portfolios of assets such as stocks or bonds on behalf of clients (individuals/institutions), a career in asset management might be appealing to you.
Remember that there are numerous other high-paying jobs within a range of industries for finance professionals with a Master’s degree. Be sure to explore the different options based on your interests and strengths, while keeping up with industry trends and demands as well.
Top Job Positions
An Increasing Demand for Finance Professionals Worldwide
In today’s global job market, the demand for skilled and knowledgeable finance professionals is on the rise. The financial industry in the global economy is rapidly changing, which means the number of career opportunities in finance has soared and will continue to do so. The possibilities are diverse as well, as finance professionals are needed across industries ranging from banking and insurance to consulting and investment firms.
Some of the factors that drive the demand for finance professionals are:
- Globalization: Our increasingly interconnected world has led to the collaboration and growth of economies that rely heavily on cross-border transactions. This has led to increased complexity in financial operations and the need for experts who can navigate these intricacies.
- Technological advancements: Humanity’s rapid adoption of new, cutting-edge technology in recent times has sparked a revolution in the finance sector. With the rise of fintech companies and digital platforms, traditional financial institutions are adapting to stay competitive. This shift has opened up new avenues for career growth within fintech startups or established organizations looking to innovate.
- Regulatory compliance: As governments around the world tighten regulations to ensure transparency and accountability in financial practices, companies are seeking professionals who are skilled in compliance procedures. Meanwhile, as businesses expand globally, they require strategic insights into international markets and investment opportunities. Financial professionals with a global perspective can help companies make informed decisions regarding expansions or investments across borders.
The current trends indicate that job opportunities in finance will continue to flourish across industries ranging from banking to insurance, consulting firms to investment firms – offering diverse possibilities for aspiring professionals.
Job Prospects in China
Earning your degree in China can open up the opportunity for you to stay and work in the country after you graduate. With its booming multinational economy, the the financial industry has many prospects for graduates, for example within:
- Fintech: China is a global leader in financial technology, and there is a high demand for professionals who can combine finance and technology skills. It’s possible to work for established companies like Baidu, Alibaba, or Tencent, or join a startup in the blockchain, cryptocurrency, or digital payment sectors.
- Green finance: China is also committed to developing a green economy and reducing carbon emissions. There is a growing need for experts who can help finance sustainable projects, such as renewable energy, clean transportation, or environmental protection.
- Belt and Road Initiative: China’s ambitious plan to connect Asia, Europe, and Africa through infrastructure and trade is creating many opportunities for finance professionals. You can work for banks, consulting firms, or multinational corporations that are involved in the Belt and Road projects.
- International business: China is one of the largest trading partners and investors in the world. You can leverage your finance skills and cross-cultural knowledge to work for companies that do business with China, or in other emerging markets.
These are some examples of job positions for companies that are based in China:
- Finance Professor/Researcher: Teach finance courses, conduct academic research, and supervise students at universities and business schools in China, such as Wenzhou-Kean University, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, or NYU Shanghai.
- Financial Advisory Consultant: Provide financial solutions and advice to clients at global consulting firms in China, such as Deloitte, PwC, or KPMG.
- Financial Analyst: Perform financial modeling, forecasting, reporting, and analysis for multinational companies in China, such as Apple, Microsoft, or Amazon.
- Fintech Specialist: Develop and implement innovative financial products and services as a fintech specialist at a leading technology company, such as Alibaba, Tencent, or Baidu.
Employment Statistics for Graduates of School of Management, Fudan University
The Master of Finance program at School of Management, Fudan University has a strong reputation and recognition in the financial industry, both in China and abroad. Graduates of the program have a competitive career advantage and have successfully secured positions in sectors like banking, finance, consulting, accounting, technology, and e-commerce. They are working in companies such as:
- Banking and Finance: e.g. Bank of China, HSBC, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, etc.
- Consulting and Accounting: e.g. McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Deloitte, PwC, KPMG, EY, etc.
- Technology and E-commerce: e.g. Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, Huawei, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, etc.
- Education and Research: e.g. Fudan University, UCLA, Princeton University, MIT, Harvard University, etc.
The three graphs above are derived from the most recent five years’ employment data of graduated students.
Apply for the 2024 Intake
The application deadline for the 2024 intake is May 31, 2024.
If your career goals are aligned with success in the global business world, consider applying for the Master of Finance program at Fudan University. You will enjoy a comprehensive program, a vibrant city, and a global perspective in the heart of China’s financial landscape.
You can apply online with one easy application through our China Admissions platform. We recommend submitting your application as early as possible to increase your chances of being accepted.
Here’s how to apply:
- Click below for the details on the Master of Finance.
- Check your eligibility using our Eligibility Quiz.
- Gather your application documents.
- Log in to your China Admissions account, or register for a new account.
- Fill in the application form and upload your documents.
- Pay the application fee to submit your application.
- If your application is accepted, you will receive an invitation to book an admission interview.
You can also book a call with one of our Student Advisors to discuss your options further.
- Prepare for the Future with Artificial Intelligence or Computing Programs at United International College (UIC) - February 8, 2024
- Through the Lens of International Students at Hong Kong Metropolitan University (HKMU) - January 25, 2024
- Career Prospects for the Master of Finance Program at Fudan University - January 20, 2024