In the fast-paced world of finance, where opportunities are often dependent on education and global perspectives, Fudan University offers a unique proposition. In the financial heart of China itself, you can earn a master’s degree in finance which combines the expertise and resources of three world-class universities.
If you’re an aspiring finance professional with a Bachelor’s degree and a strong mathematical background, this could be the perfect program for you. It provides in-depth knowledge and practical skills for navigating the intricacies of global financial markets. The degree is your gateway into the global financial industry, giving you a competitive career advantage, network connections, and a wealth of practical experience with industry leaders and real-life case studies. Graduates of the program are quick to secure top positions in the fields of banking, investment, risk management, financial analysis, and more.
Fudan University is one of the top universities in China, known for its long history of academic excellence and innovation. The Master of Finance program was launched in 2010 by Fudan University’s School of Management (FDSM), in collaboration with the Anderson School of Management at the University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA) and selected top faculties of Princeton University, both located in the US.
Successful graduates of the program receive a Master of Finance degree with a specialization in either Financial Engineering or International Finance issued by Fudan University and a Learning Certificate issued by UCLA or Princeton University professors.
This article dives deeper into the components of this program, providing insight that can help you make an informed decision. You can apply for the program through the China Admissions platform by navigating to the page for your preferred specialization.
9 Reasons to Choose this Program
The Master of Finance program at Fudan University is a unique and prestigious program that offers you the following benefits:
- Dual Recognition: Earn a master’s degree from Fudan University and a study certificate from UCLA or Princeton University professors, which are widely recognized and respected institutions in the global financial industry.
- Specializations: Choose from two specializations that suit your interests: Financial Engineering and International Finance.
- Renowned Faculty: Learn from experts at Fudan University, UCLA, and Princeton University.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: Develop advanced understanding and practical skills of financial theories and practices.
- Global Perspective: Broaden your horizons through global field trips to institutions in Hong Kong, Singapore, or Japan.
- Extensive Network: Access resources and collaboration opportunities from three world-class universities.
- Shanghai Experience: Immerse yourself in the dynamic financial industry of Shanghai, visiting leading institutions and meeting industry innovators.
- Career Support: Benefit from dedicated career development and placement services.
- Vibrant Location: Live and study in Shanghai, one of the world’s most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities and the financial hub of China.
The Master of Finance program is a two-year, full-time program with two specializations: Financial Engineering and International Finance.
The curriculum is structured as follows:
- The 1st and 2nd semesters (the first year) are focused on Core Courses that are mandatory for all students in the program, such as Financial Economics, Corporate Finance, Asset Pricing and Risk Management.
- The 3rd semester is composed of elective courses that you can choose based on your preferences and interests. Examples include Behavioural Finance, Financial Regulation, Investment Banking, Private Equity and Venture Capital, and Quantitative Finance.
- The 4th and final semester is dedicated to your thesis and defense. It is written under the guidance of faculty from Fudan University, UCLA, or Princeton University.
During the program, you will also have the opportunity to participate in various academic and professional activities, such as:
- Global field trips to leading institutions in Hong Kong, Singapore, or Japan.
- Chinese corporate trips to learn from industry leaders, such as Tencent, Alibaba Group, and Huawei.
- Seminars and workshops by renowned scholars and practitioners
- Business practice courses such as Citi – Fudan University Banking Courses (Partner with MBA), Bloomberg – FDSM Global Financial Markets Introductory Course, and CICC – FDSM Investment Bank Course
- Internships and connections with leading financial institutions
- Campus talks, career fairs, and business competitions with world-class enterprises such as UBS, Citi Bank, HSBC, SVB, Starr Foundation, Volvo, Fosun Group, and Bloomberg
- Alumni events and networking sessions
This specialization is a collaboration between FDSM and the Anderson School of UCLA, taught by faculty members from both institutions. It aims to provide students with theoretical and practical knowledge on corporate finance, investment principles, capital markets, and financial instruments.
This specialization is a collaboration between FDSM and selected faculties of Princeton University. It prepares students to meet the increasing demand for professionals qualified in risk management and quantitative finance, enabling them to make a positive impact on business and society. The courses are focused on using technology and applying advanced concepts in finance, statistics, mathematics, and computer science to solve complex financial problems.
The Master of Finance program is reputed for having a world-class faculty. As of July 2023, the School boasts a total of 167 faculty members, including 58 professors and 61 associate professors. 98.8% of the faculty hold a Ph.D. degree, among whom 81 faculty members obtained their degrees from overseas, accounting for 48.8% of the total number.
Some of the distinguished faculty members of the program are:
Frederick L. Moore ’18 Professor of Finance, Professor of Statistics, and Professor of Operations Research and Financial Princeton
Jianqing Fan is a distinguished professor at Princeton University, where he conducts research and teaching on topics such as high-dimensional statistics, machine learning, finance, economics, and mathematical statistics. He has a PhD from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and has published over 200 papers in top journals, written or co-authored several books (such as “Nonlinear Time Series: Nonparametric and Parametric Methods”),and received numerous honors and awards (such as the COPSS Presidents’ Award and the Noether Distinguished Scholar). He is member of several professional societies and organizations, such as the National Bureau of Economic Research, and is widely regarded as one of the leading experts and pioneers in his fields of research.
Mark J. Garmaise
Mark J. Garmaise is a professor and dean at the UCLA Anderson School of Management, where he teaches and researches on the effects of information and incentives on real estate markets, corporate finance, and entrepreneurship. He has a PhD in business economics from Harvard University and has published in prestigious academic journals such as the Journal of Finance, the Journal of Financial Economics, and the Review of Financial Studies. He has also authored “The Real Estate Finance Book”, and has received several honors and awards for his research and teaching, such as the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence. He is a fellow of notable groups ans associations including the National Bureau of Economic Research, the Fink Center for Finance and Investments, and the American Finance Association.
Tuition Fees & Scholarships
The tuition fee for the program is 238,000 RMB/2 years (approx 33,000 USD).
Fudan University offers full and partial scholarships to outstanding students in the program.
What Students Are Saying
How to Apply
- you must be a non-Chinese citizen with a valid passport and good health.
- you must have a bachelor’s degree or proof of upcoming graduation in any discipline.
- you should have a solid mathematics background.
- you will need to demonstrate English language proficiency.
The minimum requirement for applicants from non-English speaking countries are：
If you have completed a bachelor’s degree in an English-speaking country, you may request to waive these scores by submitting your transcript for pre-evaluation.
- Photocopy of your passport identification page
- Diploma of your highest degree (or proof of upcoming graduation)
- Official university transcript
- Two reference letters
- A short video of your self-introduction in English, within 60 seconds
- Personal statement
- Valid language certificate and score report
- Proof of no criminal record in Chinese or English
- Proof of financial capacity
After submitting your application, you will be invited for an online interview if you are qualified.
Apply for the 2024 Intake
Applications are now being taken for 2024 international intake until April 2024. International students may apply for the following programs:
1. Master of Finance – International Finance (taught in English)
2. Master of Finance – Financial Engineering (taught in English)
3. Master of Data Science & Business Analytics (taught in Chinese)
You can apply online with one easy application through our China Admissions platform. We recommend submitting your application as early as possible to increase your chances of being accepted.
To apply to the Master of Finance program:
- Click below for the details on the Master of Finance (or learn more about the Financial Engineering and International Finance specializations first).
- Complete the FDSM application form and upload all the required documents.
- Ensure all the documents are attached and click the “Save” button. Note that you will not be able to revise the form once it is submitted. Submissions close in April 2024.
- If your application is accepted, you will receive an invitation to book an online or onsite interview.
- Interview results will be released 1-2 weeks after the interview. Qualified applicants who pass the interview should log on to the Fudan website to complete the International Student Application form, upload required documents, and pay the application fee of 800 RMB.
You can also book a free call with one of our Student Advisors to discuss your options further.
- Prepare for the Future with Artificial Intelligence or Computing Programs at United International College (UIC) - February 8, 2024
- Through the Lens of International Students at Hong Kong Metropolitan University (HKMU) - January 25, 2024
- Career Prospects for the Master of Finance Program at Fudan University - January 20, 2024