Master’s in Translation Studies
Introduction to the Program
The Master’s in Translation Studies at Glasgow-Nankai Joint Graduate School is a two year Master’s degree program taught in English.
About Glasgow-Nankai Joint Graduate School
Founded in 2014 with the approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, with a mission to provide students with a research-led education of the highest international quality across a range of subjects.
About the Program
This programme is designed for Chinese speaking students looking to translate from English into Chinese and provides an excellent platform to become a professional interpreter or translator. It is taught at the University of Nankai, with courses offered by both Universities.
The programme trains students to be expert translators and interpreters who adhere to the highest professional standards and who are culturally and ethically aware.
The programme further aims to:
- Provide students with both practical skills and theoretical knowledge;
- Improve students’ knowledge of both Chinese and Anglophone cultures and languages;
- Develop competencies that will allow students to work for language service providers, international businesses, cross-cultural companies and governmental organizations;
- Develop skills to translate a broad range of texts between Chinese and English, including literature, journalistic texts, technical materials, and academic articles; and develop an expertise in interpreting for audiences of international conferences and other cross-cultural and international events.
- The programme balances Translation Studies theory with practical translation work, meaning you will develop both academic and professional skills, preparing you for the translation profession or Ph.D. research in the field.
This programme is taken over two years of full-time study and includes core courses offered by both universities. You will also be required to submit a dissertation.
Nankai University courses may include:
- Simultaneous interpreting
- Literary and cultural translation
- Translation of commerce, laws, and diplomacy
- Advanced sight interpreting
- Consecutive interpreting in theory and practice
- Mandarin advanced translation and language study
University of Glasgow course may include:
- Translation Studies in theory and practice
- Research methods in Translation Studies
- Translation technology: terminology management and subtitling
- Approaches to translation and the professional environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent
Start Date of the program
The tuition fees are RMB 35000 per year. The total for the two-year program is 70000 RMB.
During your studies you will live in the overseas student dormitories. Living on campus gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in campus life, allows you to meet other international students and make friends from all over the world.For further information on the accommodation visit the accommodation page here.