The HSK is changing in March 2022! The New HSK 3.0 will include 3 more levels–HSK 7, 8, and 9.
The HSK 7-9 will be given as one exam, the “Advanced Test,” and testers will receive a score of 7, 8, or 9 to show their level. This test is geared towards those who are pursuing a Master’s or PhD in Chinese at an extremely high Chinese level. Students at this advanced level of Chinese language are capable of reading academic texts, specialized documents, and conversing about advanced and technical topics in Chinese.
Will the HSK 1-6 change?
No, the current system of testing HSK 1-6 will not change until 2024 or 2027. In the future, all HSK exams will become slightly harder by including more vocabulary and advanced grammar.
Will my test scores still be valid?
HSK scores are valid for two years. If you’ve taken the HSK recently, your score will not be impacted by the release of the new HSK.
How can I start studying for the HSK 7, 8, or 9?
You can start by reviewing HSK 6 materials. If you can pass the HSK 6 easily, you’re ready to prepare for the New HSK.
Here is the Complete Study Guide for HSK 7-9.
- Start by learning vocabulary: here is a list of all HSK 1-9 vocabulary.
- Additionally, the New HSK will test translation skills from Chinese to English and back again. You should also improve your English reading and writing skills for this high-level HSK.
- Read Chinese…a LOT. Read Chinese news articles, Weibo posts, academic abstracts, short stories…you can start by following some Chinese news accounts on WeChat or Weibo.
Read More: Best FREE Ways to Self-Study Chinese Online
- Get familiar with Chinese history and culture. The exam is likely to test your understanding of major figures and political movements, etc.
- Listen to Chinese podcasts and news videos. Again, you can check our article about free ways to study Chinese for some recommendations.
- Take a class. You can take a private HSK preparation class and your teacher will be able to help you build up your knowledge base and grammar expertise.
- Deyi Wu: TIEMBA provides insight into Chinese culture & business - November 27, 2022
- 6 Reasons Why Shanghai’s Sino-British College is the Perfect Location - November 25, 2022
- NPU Cancels Application Fee for China Admissions Students! - November 23, 2022