Hong Kong Metropolitan University (HKMU) is the only self-financing university set up by the Hong Kong government in 1989. This comprehensive university is dedicated to providing students with quality professional higher education and clear career paths. As a multi-modal university, HKMU uses innovative teaching, education technology and experiential learning modes to deliver 50+ undergraduate programmes to approximately 10,000 full-time students.
One of the ways in which HKMU demonstrates excellence in teaching and research is its dynamic response to the ever-changing market. The university tailors its curriculum to respond to evolving market trends and industry needs, ensuring the courses stay up-to-date and relevant. As a result, students are better prepared to embark on clear and reliable career paths.
Let’s further explore how HKMU’s career-centric programmes can set you up for the best possible job prospects in your chosen field.
The curriculum for HKMU’s courses are comprehensive and designed to reflect real-world industry needs. The university’s programmes are continually reviewed, updated and enhanced to ensure students pick up the latest knowledge and skills and are favoured by potential employers in the future. HKMU achieves this by turning to industry leaders for input and advice in the curriculum design. As well as serving as advisors to the courses, these professionals also offer opportunities for internships, mentoring and service learning. HKMU students can even partake in hands-on research and development projects led by industry partners, providing them with valuable career experiences in an educational environment.
Many of the programmes offered by HKMU are accredited or recognized by professional bodies, ensuring that graduates not only meet the standards and requirements of their respective professions, but also have a competitive advantage in the job market. Professional recognition is highly valued by industry partners, and it allows students to build strong industry connections and benefit from networking opportunities and career resources.
Some of the HKMU’s programmes with industry recognitions include, but are not limit to:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Association of Computing Machinery Special Interest Group in Computer Graphics (ACM SIGGRARH)
- Association of International Accountants (AIA)
- Association of Motion Picture Post Production Professionals
- CFA Institute
- Chartered Society of Designers (CSD)
- Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP)
- Photographic Society of America (PSA)
- Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
- Property Management Services Authority (PMSA)
- The Hong Kong Chartered Governance Institute (HKCGI)
- The Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
- The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE)
- The Hong Kong Psychological Society
- The Institute of Purchasing & Supply of Hong Kong (IPSHK)
- The Royal Photographic Society (RPS)
Whatever your career ambitions, HKMU offers undergraduate programmes that cover a wide range of disciplines, catering to the diverse interests and aspirations of its students. These programmes will equip you with the skills and knowledge necessary for success in your chosen field and job role.
Here are some of the undergraduate disciplines offered by HKMU:
- Animation and Visual Effects
- Creative Advertising and Media Design
- Creative Writing and Film Arts
- Imaging Design and Digital Art
Career prospects for these programmes include jobs in visual arts, digital media, film and television, or arts administration.
Humanities, Language and Translation
- English Language and Culture
- Language Studies and Translation
Graduates of these programmes may go on to work as translators, interpreters, language teachers, or localization specialists.
- Education (Chinese Language Teaching) and Language Studies (Applied Chinese Language Studies)
- English Language Teaching and Bachelor of English Language Studies
Graduates of these programmes may go on to become teachers, school administrators, curriculum developers, or education researchers.
- Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology
- Environmental Science and Green Management
- Science (STEM)
Graduates of these programmes may go on to work in fields such as biotechnology, environmental science, or forensic science.
Construction and Quality Management
- Analytical Testing Science
- Building Services Engineering and Sustainable Development
- Civil Engineering
- Food Testing Science
- Integrated Testing, Inspection and Certification
Graduates of these programmes can expect to embark on careers in construction project management, quality control, or risk management.
Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
- Computer Science
- Cyber and Computer Security
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- Electronic and Computer Engineering
These programmes can qualify you to become software developers, system analysts, IT managers, cybersecurity professionals, or work in other technology-related fields.
Accounting and Finance
- Corporate Governance and Sustainability
- Finance and Financial Technology
- Professional Accounting
Graduates of these programmes may go on to become accountants, financial analysts, investment bankers, or work in other business-related fields.
Global Business and Marketing
- Global Business
- International Hospitality and Attractions Management
- Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management
Graduates of these programs may go on to become marketing managers, market researchers, or work in other marketing-related fields.
- Applied Psychology, Business Management
- Aviation Services Management
- Business Management
- Global Marketing and Supply Chain Management
- Human Resource Management
- Sports and eSports Management
- Sports and Recreation Management
Graduates of these programmes may go on to work in fields such as international trade, supply chain management, or business development.
You can browse for more courses at Hong Kong Metropolitan University here.
Career Planning Services
HKMU provides support and services to students throughout their academic journey and beyond, and to help bridge relationships between students or graduates and potential employers. Services for students include career counseling, job search assistance, internship and job placement, career development workshops, and employer networking events. Recruitment activities are also held throughout the year, ensuring that students receive ample opportunities to enhance their career prospects.
HKMU is dedicated to providing career-centric programmes that set students on the path to success. With diverse disciplines, industry-aligned curriculum, professional recognition, and dedicated career services, HKMU is an excellent choice for you looking to maximize your career prospects and realize your ambitions.
If you’re ready to embark on an exciting academic journey that will set you up for a successful career, explore HKMU’s programmes and apply today!
Learn more about some of the programmes below. Click the button below for more information and to apply.
- 7 Popular Bachelor’s Programs at HKMU - May 26, 2023
- Last Call to Apply for the Master of Global Management Program at Tongji University - May 25, 2023
- 7 Reasons to Study at UIC, According to Students - May 23, 2023