LLM in International Law
Introduction to the Program
The LLM in International Law is a 2 year master’s program taught in English to international students. Students can start the program in September each year.
This program is set for international students in China, using English as the class language, teaching international law mainly and also Chinese. Its purpose is to foster high-level and interdisciplinary legal talents who have a global outlook, master two or more languages and fundamental theories and knowledge in all fields of international law and understand Chinese culture.
About WHU - Wuhan University
Wuhan University (WHU) is a top 5 University in China, located in central China in the city of Wuhan, with around 1500 international students. The University is well known as having the most beautiful campus out of all the Universities in China next to the East Lake. For further information about Wuhan University and Life on Campus visit the Wuhan University page here.
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens under the age of 35 with a valid passport, and have attained a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Application deadline is June 15th every year.
About the Program
It’s usually two-year’s full-time learning. But if students get the required credits and pass the dissertation defense, applying for early graduation is permitted.
1) Course instruction is the main method, and international law courses will adopt lectures, workshops and other methods, emphasize on case teaching and encourage students to actively participate in classroom teaching. Chinese courses adopt small-class-based lecture model, focus on improving the students’ ability of listening, speaking, reading and writing and emphasize on interaction between teaching and learning.
(2) Adopt credit system and total credits should not be less than 24 points.
(3) Mentors are mainly composed by professors and associate professors from Institute of International Law of Wuhan University who have background of studying abroad and excellent English skills and have the qualification to guide graduates.
(4) Promote students’ global outlook and their ability of independent study. Employ experts at home and abroad who have a high academic reputation to give lectures.
(5) Assessment methods of compulsory courses include examination and appraisal. Appraisal is aimed to supervise and urge students to participate in course learning actively and focuses on testing students’ ability and method of using their existing theory and background knowledge to analyze, judge and resolve practical problems, and its forms may be versatile. Examination can adopt book-close examination and thesis or other forms, testing students’ abilities to understand and use their learned theoretical knowledge systematically and their abilities to conduct independent research. Both methods are chosen by teachers.
Topics of degree thesis should locate in frontier issues with great theoretical and practical significance in the field of international law, or carry on comparative study of their own country’s or China’s legal system, which focus on reflecting students’ ability to analyze complicated legal problems in international community with integrated use of theory and knowledge. Mentor groups determine a specific mentor to guide students according to his or her topic.
Degree thesis should be reviewed by three experts with senior professional titles of associate professor or above.
Students whose degree exams and elective exams are all qualified and passed the dissertation defense can be granted master’s degree of law.
The tuition fees are RMB 32,500 per year. The total for the 2 year program is 65,000 RMB.
To apply complete the application form and pay the application fee here. Your application is normally processed within 4 weeks. After you have been accepted you will receive your official acceptance letter visa application form. If you have any questions contact us.