PhD at the School of Geographical Sciences
Introduction to the Program
The PhD Program at the School of Geographical Sciences at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) is a a three to four-year postgraduate degree program taught in English.
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, we are run by The University of Nottingham with cooperation from Zhejiang Wanli Education Group, a key player in the education sector in China.
The University of Nottingham is in the top one percent of more than 7,500 higher education institutions worldwide and league tables consistently rank the University highly. For more info visit the page here.
About the Program
We offer MPhil and PhD degrees in Geographical Sciences related to our core areas of interest and research.
- International water management policies, particularly in sustainable flood management and planning practices and flood risk assessment
- Catchment-scale modeling of rainfall-runoff and river flow
- Estimating erosion and sediment transport in data sparse areas
- Surface water management in the mining industry
- Water-resource management modelling and optimisation
- Multi-disciplinary use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Impact of climate and land-use change on geomorphological risk and hazards
- Ecosystem approaches to management in marine systems
- Saltmarsh and estuarine ecology
- The impacts of the fishing on the ecosystem
- Benthic functioning
- Economic evaluations of ecosystem functioning
- Brownfield regeneration and sustainable urban development
If you apply to a PhD programme, you will generally need to hold an honours degree at 2:1 level (for applicants graduating from a university in the UK) or above (or international equivalent) in an appropriate subject.
The following will be considered when making an offer:
- academic performance during the undergraduate and postgraduate study
- ranking and fame of the university where the applicant graduates from
- research papers published in international academic journals
- quality of the research proposal
- research potential and attitude
- Important awards granted before
- Very related work experience
- English proficiency
Start Date of the program
Applications can be made throughout the year, although you must allow at least one month for processing your application before the commencement of the programme.
The tuition fees are RMB90000 each year. The total tuition fee for the 4 year program is 360000 RMB.
The University has several buildings designated for international students, building 11, 18 and 20. All rooms are fully furnished and equipped with air conditioning and a telephone and computer point; enabling students to make and receive telephone calls and access the University’s data network from their bedrooms. For further information on the accommodation visit the accommodation page here.