Master’s in Civil Engineering
Introduction to the Program
The Master’s in Civil Engineering at Beijing Jiaotong University is a two-year program taught in English for international students.
About Beijing Jiaotong University
As one of the first group of universities accepted into the “Outstanding Engineers Training Plan”, Beijing Jiaotong University contributes to joint talents training program of industry and institute with rail traffic and local economic development of Beijing by taking advantage of good cooperation with industry based on experimental majors of “Outstanding Engineers Training Plan”. To increase the practical ability of students, BJTU has cooperation with Nanjing Railway Vocational College, Shanxi Railway Engineering Vocational College, Zhengzhou Railway Vocational College, Guangzhou Railway Vocational College, Guiyang Vocational Technology College and Jilin Railway Vocational College etc. To provide practical opportunity and platform for students to grow into top international engineers who are good at both theory and practice.
In recent years, the booming Chinese economy has almost turned China into a huge construction site. Skyscrapers, transport facilities, and hydraulic projects, etc. constantly emerged. A new material, new equipment, new structure, and construction techniques sprang up. In addition, China undertook plenty of construction projects overseas, especially in developing countries. The civil engineering specialty of Beijing Jiaotong University (hereinafter referred to as BJTU) has over 50 years history. As a National Characteristic Specialty, it is supported by 2 National Key Disciplines, Road, and Railway Engineering, Bridge and Tunnel Engineering. Now, BJTU makes use of the advantages and experience of itself and China in the field of civil engineering and sets up the master program of civil engineering in English medium to foster the innovative engineers for the world.
- Flexible Duration – The program can confer two types of master degrees: Master of Engineering (M.E.) and Master of Science (M.S.). M.E. requires 2 years coursework and project report. M.S. requires 3 years coursework and thesis
- English Medium – The instruction of the courses, the writing, and assessment of the project report and thesis are all in English
- Strong Faculty Team – The civil engineering faculty team of the program is mainly composed of professors and associate professors, all of whom have a doctoral degree and overseas education or working experience
- Scientific Research Opportunities – International students will have the opportunities to take part in their tutor’s scientific research team and projects
- Internship Opportunities – International students will have the chance to visit and practice on major construction sites of China
- Study Group – International students will get the assistance from outstanding Chinese postgraduate classmates for an easier adjustment to the new environment and better understanding of the new knowledge
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, 2 recommendations by associate professors or above, to be approved of by the target university. At least
2 years of working experience is required for MBA program applicants. Language requirements for English-taught programs: TOEFL 68(IBT) or IELTS 5.5 or pass English test of BJTU.
- Photocopy (scanned copy or facsimiled copy) of passport details.
- Your recent photo with white background and minimum size 640 × 480 pixels, or eight pieces of printed copies with size 30 by 40mm when sent by post.
- Notarized diploma and transcripts in English or Chinese (originals should be produced at registration).
- HSK Level 4 Certificate (degree programs taught in Chinese) or English Proficiency Certificate (degree programs taught in English).
- Applicants for Master’s or doctoral programs should provide two recommendation letters by associate professors or above and a study plan at a minimum of 800 words with a detailed description of the contents or field information during the study in China.
- Financial Prove (this requirement is for fee-paying students, full government scholarship applicants are exempt from this requirement), students should provide financial proof that shows sufficient fund available to study at BJTU for the entire study period. Bank statement under the student’s name is preferred. If parents or other person is financing student’s study in China, then the bank statement of this financial sponsor and a letter from the sponsor stating he/she will sponsor the student’s all cost when a study at BJTU should be provided.
- Physical Examination Result (Please download the physical examination form on study.bjtu.edu.cn, complete the form by a certified health provider and upload the form together with the necessary test result)
- Personal Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
The first 2-3 semesters of the program are for coursework of at least 31 credits and the fourth semester and the rest time is for project report or thesis writing. In addition, the program includes some courses on civil engineering economics and management and can lay the foundation for further Ph.D. study.
- General Course (7 credits) – Chinese Culture, Basic Chinese, Information Retrieval
- Major Core Course(8 credits) – Advanced Soil Mechanics, Numerical Modeling, Random Vibration
- Major Course(16 credits) – Dynamics of Structures, Advanced Concrete Materials, Bridge engineering, Tunnel Mechanics and Engineering, Steel Structure, Track Engineering, Reinforced Concrete Design, Model Analysis and System Identification, Structural Wind Engineering, Sustainable Construction
- Thesis – Research Proposal, Thesis Defense
January 15 for the spring semester, July 15 for the fall semester.
Start Date of the program
March 1 for the spring semester, September 1 for the fall semester.
The tuition fees are 35,000 RMB per year. The total fee for the two-year program is 70,000 RMB.
To apply complete the application form and pay the application fee here. It takes approximately 4-6 weeks for your application to be processed and before an admissions decision is given. After you have been accepted you will receive your official acceptance letter visa application form. If you have any questions contact us.