BSc International Economics and Trade
Introduction to the Program
The Bachelor’s in International Economics and Trade at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) is a three or four year undergraduate degree program taught in English.
The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, we are run by The University of Nottingham with cooperation from Zhejiang Wanli Education Group, a key player in the education sector in China.
The University of Nottingham is in the top one percent of more than 7,500 higher education institutions worldwide and league tables consistently rank the University highly. For more info visit the page here.
About the Program
This course is based on an equivalent programme at The University of Nottingham, UK (L60 Economics and International Economics). However, it may span four years rather than three to incorporate a preliminary year which predominantly covers English language skills.
As one of the first students to complete this course at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China, you have the added advantage of exploring economics from the vantage point of China ‒ the second-largest economy in the world after three decades of rapid growth and social development. Your insights into the world’s most remarkable economic success story along with your unique international experience will impress any future employer.
On this Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree programme, you will enjoy all the benefits that come with this distinctive and intellectually rigorous training for the next generation of economists. By the time you graduate you will:
- have a thorough understanding of economic theory and quantitative methods
- be familiar with the key analytical techniques that economists use
- have the expertise to analyse international economic issues
- have specialist insights into China’s place in the world economy
You will be taught by leading scholars in the field of economics. As an undergraduate, you can expect to study in an intellectually stimulating environment with other bright students from around the globe.
By the end of your degree course you will have:
- a deep understanding of globalisation, trade and economic policy
- analytical and practical tools with which to understand China’s place in the world economy
- the skills of a well-trained economist with a focus on international economics and advanced econometric analysis
N.B. This year is not compulsory for students with appropriate qualifications for year two entry.
This programme is designed for international students whose first language is not English or whose qualifications were not obtained in an English-medium education system. Other students can skip this year.
You will develop your English language skills so that you can make the most of your degree programme. The course is intensive and is structured to ensure you maximise your time in and outside of lecture rooms.
In your preliminary year, you will:
- work in a small group
- be encouraged to undertake activities that help you develop your fluency in English
- learn how to present your work in public
- be taught techniques to keep improving your English
- develop habits for lifelong learning
By the time you complete your preliminary year, you will have:
- a deep knowledge of English grammar
- expanded your vocabulary so that you are familiar with relevant technical terms
- skills to analyse complex texts and extract information in order to build academic arguments
Preliminary year modules specifically for economics students include:
- Introduction to Business and Economics
- Foundation Calculus and Mathematical Techniques
Examination results in your preliminary year do not influence your final degree classification. However, it is necessary to complete these programmes and pass all English modules in order to progress to the second year.
You will be introduced to the the fundamentals of economics. In your second year (also referred to as a qualifying year), the emphasis is on:
- ensuring you develop a solid grounding in economic theory and quantitative methods
- deepening your understanding of the relevance of these methods in the study of economic questions of cultural, political or social importance
Your modules might include:
In year three (the equivalent of year two at The University of Nottingham in the UK), you will develop your knowledge of:
- microeconomics, macroeconomics and international economics
- quantitative methods, such as time series, panel and cross-sectional econometrics and mathematical economics
- major sub-disciplines of economics, including financial and monetary economics, international trade and development economics, public and labour economics
Your modules might include:
Minimum English Requirement
In addition to academic requirements, students whose first language is not English or entry qualification was not obtained in the English medium are required to provide evidence of their proficiency in English.
To ensure that you can fully benefit from your studies at UNNC, you will need to demonstrate a required level of English language proficiency.
For Preliminary year (year one) entry
- IELTS 5.5 with the writing band no less than 5.0 or
- PTE Academic 55 (minimum 51)
For Qualifying year (year two) entry
- IELTS 6.5 with the writing band no less than 6.0 or
- PTE Academic 62 (minimum 55)
Students who have completed a recognised degree, or completed the whole of their secondary education in one of these countries within the last 10 years are not normally required to take a separate English language test.
Otherwise, in addition to the more common language qualifications – such as IELTS, TOEFL, (I)GCSE, O level, IB and A and AS level English – the University also considers a number of other English language qualifications for admission.
The minimum English language requirement for BA English Language and Applied Linguistics, BA English Language and Literature, and BA English with International Business is:
- IELTS 7.0 with each band no less than 6.0 or
- PTE Academic 67 (minimum 55)
Start Date of the program
The tuition fees are RMB80000 per year. The total for the 4 year program is 320000 RMB.
The University has several buildings designated for international students, building 11, 18 and 20. All rooms are fully furnished and equipped with air conditioning and a telephone and computer point; enabling students to make and receive telephone calls and access the University’s data network from their bedrooms. For further information on the accommodation visit the accommodation page here.