Master’s in Urban and Regional Planning
Introduction to the Program
The Master’s in Urban and Regional Planning at Glasgow-Nankai Joint Graduate School is a two year Master’s degree program taught in English.
About Glasgow-Nankai Joint Graduate School
Founded in 2014 with the approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education, with a mission to provide students with a research-led education of the highest international quality across a range of subjects.
About the Program
The MSc in Urban and Regional Planning promotes a thorough understanding of how cities and regions function. As a graduate, this will allow you to make a real and positive difference to the social, environmental and economic welfare of towns, cities, and regions.
At its core, the programme aims to promote the social scientific understanding of cities.
You will be taught to understand:
- the economic underpinnings of urban and regional development
- the processes and institutions of urban governance
- the relationships between places and urban society.
You will also learn to demonstrate the value of research-based urban analysis and understanding. In this process, you will improve your own research skills.
You will develop an understanding of cities, property markets, institutions, and governance. This provides an essential foundation for effective action in the development and management of cities.
To promote effective work across professional boundaries, you will critically appreciate the roles of a range of urban professionals and other stakeholders.
You will understand the importance of research and reflection as a route to successful urban planning innovation.
This degree programme equips you with a wide range of opportunities by providing the knowledge and understanding to:
- Critically identify cities as dynamic spaces in the local, national and global economic and political system
- Evaluate the main theories about the uniqueness of cities, their development in time and space, and their particular assets from a social, economic, cultural and environmental perspective
- Contrast and compare urban trends in different regions of the world, together with the drivers of these changes
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the current urban problems faced by different professions in urban planning and management; as well as city dwellers themselves
- Evaluate environmental sustainability as a concept, with particular reference to the demands and pressures cities place on the natural environment in different regions
- Assess the underpinnings of urban planning theory and how it has shaped urban interventions
- Critique the roles and functions of planning in cities areas with a view to shaping urban change
- Compare the rationale for, and assess the effectiveness of, different forms of partnership between the public, private and voluntary sectors in implementing urban development and regeneration, and understand the political variations in the urban development processes in different countries.
- Evaluate the relationship between market processes, built form, private and public realm, different development models and patterns of movement
- Assess the economic and financial implications of alternative development strategies and evaluate how best to create high-quality places and generate and capture added value for both particular interests and the wider community.
The Programme is taken over two years of full-time study and includes required courses offered by both universities.
Nankai University courses may include:
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Intermediate Econometrics
- Regional Economics
- Urban Economics
- Regional Economic Issues in China
- English Language training.
University of Glasgow courses may include:
- Global Cities
- City Planning Theory and Practice
- Urban Design and Development
- Real Estate Institutions and Markets
- Research Methods.
You will also be required to submit a dissertation in both languages.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent
Start Date of the program
The tuition fees are RMB 35000 per year. The total for the two-year program is 70000 RMB.
During your studies you will live in the overseas student dormitories. Living on campus gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in campus life, allows you to meet other international students and make friends from all over the world.For further information on the accommodation visit the accommodation page here.