Marine Scholarship of China
The ocean, covering about 71% of the Earth’s surface, plays a primary role in addressing the climate change and supporting the global economy, trade and livelihood. The sustainable ocean development has direct impact on the development and prosperity of all coastal countries now and in the future. And it has become an inexorable trend worldwide that through international cooperation and exchange we should deepen our understanding of the ocean and promote sustainable ocean development to enhance regional and global economic prosperity.
Under this consideration, the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and the Ministry of Education of China jointly initiate the program of Marine Scholarship of China for the purpose of providing financial support to outstanding students from the coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, the Pacific and the Indian Oceans and African developing countries to study in China for a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related specialties, cultivating advanced professionals of the related fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting the harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world.
- Candidates for master’s degree: 2-3 years of study with the Scholarship
- Candidates for doctoral degree: 3-4 years of study with the Scholarship
- Scholarship awardees who choose Chinese as the teaching language and request Chinese language training prior to their formal academic studies will receive one-year training and have their scholarship funding extended correspondingly for one year.
- Exemption from registration fees, tuition fees, laboratory fees, internship fees, and fees for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus
- Living allowance: RMB 1,700 per month for master’s students, and RMB 2,000 per month for doctoral students
- Settlement subsidy: RMB 1,500
- Out-patient medical services and the Comprehensive Medical Insurance for Chinese Government Scholarship Students
When to Apply
Every year, from 1st January to 30th April, an applicant may apply to the universities designated by this Scholarship program.
- The applicant for master’s degree studies is required to have a bachelor’s degree and be usually under the age of 40.
- The applicant for doctoral degree studies is required to have a master’s degree and be usually under the age of 45.