Introduction to Changzhou University (CZU)
Changzhou University (CZU) is a public university in Changzhou, the capital of Jiangsu Province, China. It is a comprehensive university with an excellence in teacher training and professional development.
CZU has nearly 20,000 full-time students, 18,400 of whom are undergraduates. There are 214 professors working at the university.
About Changzhou University
Changzhou University (CZU) is situated in the historical and cultural city of Changzhou, Jiangsu Province, the south of Yangtze River, famous for its rich resources and outstanding talents. It was founded in 1978 and originally named Wuxi Branch Institute. In 2010, the University was officially approved and elevated by Ministry of Education to be Changzhou University. Through 32 years of construction and development, the university has developed into an institution of higher learning with the emphasis on engineering, combined with science and integrated with arts, with the distinguishing feature of cooperation in terms of “production sectors, schools and research sectors”, as well as the harmonious development of multidiscipline.
During the last five years, the university undertook or accomplished 25 national and 196 provincial projects with the funds for scientific research amounting to 230 million yuan (46 million per year). More than 90 projects have been identified as provincial and ministerial researches and 37 of them won scientific and technological awards, including second place prize of the National Scientific and Technological Progress Award, second place prize of State Technological Invention, and 35 provincial and ministerial scientific research awards, including 6 first prizes.
The university actively promotes the strategy of international talents training by adhering to an open school policy, as well as attaching great importance to international exchanges and cooperation with the emphasis on Sino-foreign cooperation, academic exchanges, and research cooperation. Currently, the university has already carried out international cooperative educations with St. Francis Xavier University, Canada and the National University of Ireland Maynooth, Ireland.
Changzhou is a prefecture-level city in southern Jiangsu province of China. Changzhou is located in the highly developed Yangtze Delta region of China extending from Shanghai going northwest. The population of Changzhou city was 4,592,431 at the 2010 census, and its metropolitan area population was 12.4 million.
Changzhou is one of the best cities to live and work in, not just in Jiangsu, but also in the whole of China as well. Better still, it is a popular tourist destination in China, thanks to the many tourist attractions and fun things to do in Changzhou that attract people from around the world. Changzhou boasts an international look and a constant supply of global minds. Better still, the climate is comfortable and expats here have access to a wide array of international cuisines.
Jiangsu Provincial Government offers the Jasmine Scholarship for excellent international students to undertake full-time study in universities and colleges of Jiangsu Province.
1. Criteria & Eligibility
- Hold foreign passports and be in good health.
- Have a senior high school diploma with a good academic performance.
- Under the age of 30.
- Obey the relevant laws of the PRC and meet the admission requirements of Changzhou University.
- Applicants cannot enjoy other scholarships offered by the Chinese government, local governments or other organizations simultaneously.
2. Conditions of Scholarship
- A fee waiver of tuition, registration, laboratory experiments, internship, and basic textbooks.
- Cost of experiments or internships beyond the program curricula is at student’s own expense.
- Cost of books or learning materials other than required basic textbooks is at the student’s own expense.
- Free on-campus dormitory accommodation, or an accommodation allowance of CNY 10000 per year.
- A living allowance of CNY1,500 per month
- Scholarship recipients registering before the 15th of the registration month (the 15th included) will be granted the full living allowance of that month.
- Recipients registering after the 15th of the registration month will only be granted half of the living allowance of that month.
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Scheme for International Students while in China.
- Undergraduate student: CNY 30,000 per academic year;
- Duration: One academic year.
The university now owns two campuses: Baiyun and Wujin with a combined area of more than 1500 mu (100 hectares) and a building area of nearly 500,000 square meters. The library has a collection of more than 1.2 million books, and the university teaching and research equipment is worth more than 200 million yuan in total. Wujin campus, locating in Changzhou Science and Education City, is surrounded by more than 200 famous universities, colleges, and institutions, which greatly enhance the educational quality and scientific research level of the university.
West Taihu Lake Campus is under construction, it is located in the southwest of the city. When finished, it will have the area of 68.44 hectares (1026.6mu).
Life at the University
It is mandatory for all students studying in Changzhou University to have a Medical Insurance. The insurance for one year costs 600 CNY and should be purchased at the beginning of every academic year in CZU.
There are several grocery stores on campus, both cash and student card can be used for payment. You can find most items for daily use, ready-made food, and fruits. But for vegetables and imported goods, you should head for off-campus bigger supermarkets, 10minutes away by public buses.
Canteen #1 (in front of the lake)
Meals and dishes to order. Unless allergic to something, be adventurous, just pick a dish at random! Or choose from our selection. The teachers’ canteen is found on the west side of the 3rd floor and is not open to students during lunchtime. A halal restaurant is open on the east side of the 3rd floor as well.
- Breakfast: 6:00-9:00
- Lunch: 10：00-13：10
- Dinner: 16：00-19：30 (16:00-22:00 on 2nd floor)
Canteen #2 (nearest to North Gate)
Buffet style dishes to choose from, accompanied by rice. Just point at what you want.
- Breakfast: 6:30-8:30
- Lunch: 10:30-12:40
- Dinner: 16:30-18:30
- Campus sports field – Equipped with a running track, a football pitch, basketball and tennis courts, a dance hall and a weightlifting room.
- University gymnasium – On the east side of the campus. The swimming pool (8:30-19:00) is 25m long and costs RMB30 for one day, RMB 480 for one month.
- On-campus fitness clubs – Join the Kungfu, Yoga, or Dance club and exercise at the regular meetings at the underground student activity center at the Canteen #2.