“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle
Your daily habits are HIGHLY correlated with success or failure and can help you to succeed in China. By doing something everyday you can achieve goals that would be otherwise impossible.
There are 12 things you can do to help you succeed in China.
- It was quite easy back in time when men had to hunt to survive, women had to do collecting and watch kids and do other stuff to make men’s lives easier, exercise was a part of daily life.
But now it’s not that natural, is it? Many people do a lot of work that requires them to sit most of the day on one place; and we keep figuring out ways how to move less.
But you have to understand one thing about Chinese people: they are all about movement. Even when they get old they still exercise. When you go out in the evenings or mornings you can always hear loud music and laughter, and if you try to find the source, you’ll find a group of old Chinese people dancing together, exercising together. They can do it, they actually do it every day, so what’s your excuse?
2. Food: as you all know it’s very important to choose good quality and healhy food. Exercise is one part of staying healthy, the other part is our diet. We all love good tasty food, and luckily there is a choice of eating tasty and healthy food.
The Chinese diet is typically quite oily and there are many fried dishes. Many Chinese recipes include frying, and it’s not very good for health, but the Chinese diet is also quite healthy because it includes a lot of vegetables which are known to be good for human’s body. Enjoy the food but don’t forget how important the right choice of food is.
3. Relaxation: the world is constantly moving, people are always hurrying somewhere, there are always so many things to do; that’s why it’s also very important to find some time to relax your mind. To forget about all problems at least for 10 minutes. To find inner peace and listen to what your soul truly wants. To meditate.
Chinese people have known about importance of meditation for a while now, and you still can find the evidence of them honouring it: if you pay close attention you’ll see prayer beads or worry beads on the hands on most Chinese people particularly Chinese taxi drivers.
4. Reading: as we get busy we tend to put the books we want to read aside thinking that we’ll get to them soon or that we’ll read them later, but that never happens. Chinese people find a way to read, they have a busy schedule though, in subway, while waiting for a bus, while waiting for friends. They read everywhere.
Because they know that reading is not only interesting, but also is very important for the brain, in the same way exercise is important for body. Reading makes your brain think, imagine, calculate; it makes your brain smarter, your knowledge more complete, your mind more open. It gives you the opportunity to do so many things without even leaving your room, so it’s definitely worth making some time to read.
5. Hobby: sing a couple of songs, play an instrument if you can, paint something or write down some of your thoughts on your blog. Do something that you enjoy doing, do something what can help you express yourself and do it in your own way. Create. Not for a show, not for a grade or approval of somebody’s, just for yourself.
6.1 Plan your next day. If you have seen the movie “Secret” you already know how important planing your next day is, imagining everything about it in details and living it in your thoughts. If you haven’t seen it, you should either watch it or believe us: it’s important.
Planning is good, as you’ll know what your goals for the day are and you’ll spend less time figuring out how to do all that you want to do and in which order you should do it.
Sometimes you won’t be able to do everything that you had planned. Sometimes things don’t go your way. Sometimes something comes up and it turn your life upside down. It’s true, a lot can happen to prevent your plans from coming true. But still, have a plan. If you do have a plan and nothing gets in your way, great, you’ll achieve a lot. If something does get in your way, you’ll still get a lot more done, and there is always another chance the next day.
6.2 Plan a project for yourself. Or better two projects. To finish within one week. Finish it. And then next week plan another one.
It can be anything, big or small. A business plan, a plan for a book, couple of Chinese/Japanese/German etc words to learn etc.
7. Speaking about words, another thing that you should definitely do every day is learn a few words, some grammar rules of a new language. For example, Chinese. You think it’s a small drop in the ocean of knowledge, I say the ocean consist of these small drops, and every drop of knowledge you learn gets you one step closer to having the ocean inside you.
8.1 Keep a journal: write down your thoughts, your feelings and don’t forget to write down a basic plan for the next day.
Some of guys might frown at this point, as keeping a journal and writing about feelings sounds something like women would do, but it’s a great way to analyse your feelings, understand why something makes you feel a certain way. Because after understanding a problem you are already halfway to resolving it. A journal is also a good way to keep a track of your thoughts, because our thoughts is what our life is about to be, as we are creating our reality with our thoughts.
So when you keep a journal, you will be able to find a reason of what’s happening in your life at the moment in the previous notes. And you will learn how to take control of your own life.
8.2 Keep track of your spending: although they say you can’t buy happiness, I bet you have already thought at least in your life that without money it’s harder to achieve happiness.
So keep track of your money, don’t make unreasonable purchases which you didn’t plan, always try to save some money, and happiness will get closer to you.
9. Clean: you might not believe it but cleaning your apartment, doing your dishes, laundry on time and making your bed every day can make you more successful and happy. How?
First of all, it’s discipline. The habit of cleaning your house, your bed, your table trains you to keep not only your home neat but also your life.
Second of all, sometimes when you have a lot going on it’s nice to get at least something done. For example, dishes. It calms you down, shows you that at least something you managed to finish today.
Clean house is also a nice atmosphere to work in and come back to after your work.
10. Talk to people, meet people, make friends. Socialising is a part of human nature. We need it to be complete and happy. Without people around us, without somebody to care for us and to care about we are miserable.
One of the key to success is socialising. Not only because we need someone to talk but also for business, for work we need connections.
And if you are in China, thank your fate for bringing you here. If you are considering coming to China, thank whatever/whoever make you think about it. Because China is a country full of very friendly people, a country where it takes you 10 minutes to make a friend.
11. Self-improvement: apart from reading books and learning languages, apart from exercising and planning, there are still some things you can improve about yourself.
You can know more about the world: read news, learn about foreign cultures etc. You can get more knowledge about what you do or what you want to do, because there is always something that you don’t know yet.
You can learn by listening to podcasts, watching ted talks and viewing the thousands of lectures professors and researchers have on the internet.
The internet gives us an incredible opportunity to learn something new every day. Nobody knows everything and thankfully there are so many ways to grow and improve.
12. Last but not least – sleep. Don’t underestimate the power of good sleep. Your brain, your body need to relax, to take a break after a long day. And when they don’t get needed time to relax, you wake up even more tired than you were when you went to sleep. If that keeps up eventually you’ll get sick, because your body and your brain will take what they need one way or another.
In order to prevent that you need to organise your life in that way so you’ll always get enough sleep.
I sleep in total darkness, in a cool room, with a fan for white noise (drown out traffic and creaks in house that would otherwise wake me up). I have comfortable mattress and I wake up to an alarm clock that gets brighter instead of making noise.(simulates the sun rising) I don’t set my alarm for the same time every morning, I set my alarm either 7.5 or 9 hours from when I fall asleep (so I don’t wake up in the depth of a sleep cycle – you may have to tinker with the times but you will learn your body). Try some of this and you will be amazed with the effects on your energy levels, retention of information, and how you enter your days in the morning. (Ferguson Ross)
The whole list of what you have to do every day might seem a little too much, but if you make a time for all the habits that were mentioned above, you’ll get much more: happiness, content, peace and success.
So it’s definitely worth a try, isn’t it?
- $10 Million USD Funding to Start or Grow A Business in Beijing - April 21, 2022
- 한국 학생들을 위한 중국 대학교 입시 설명회 – 4월 16일 토요일 오후 5시 (베이징 시간 오후 4시) - April 14, 2022
- 중국어 또는 중국 유학에 관심이 있으신가요? - April 14, 2022