Master’s in Urban Planning and Design
Introduction to the Program
The Master’s in Urban Planning and Design at Beijing Jiaotong University is a two-year program taught in English for international students.
About Beijing Jiaotong University
As one of the first group of universities accepted into the “Outstanding Engineers Training Plan”, Beijing Jiaotong University contributes to joint talents training program of industry and institute with rail traffic and local economic development of Beijing by taking advantage of good cooperation with industry based on experimental majors of “Outstanding Engineers Training Plan”. To increase the practical ability of students, BJTU has cooperation with Nanjing Railway Vocational College, Shanxi Railway Engineering Vocational College, Zhengzhou Railway Vocational College, Guangzhou Railway Vocational College, Guiyang Vocational Technology College and Jilin Railway Vocational College etc. To provide practical opportunity and platform for students to grow into top international engineers who are good at both theory and practice.
Beijing Jiaotong University (BJTU) is one of the birthplaces of Chinese modern management discipline. With centurial heritage, BJTU has strong faculty team and is the cradle of management professionals. BJTU set up the Master Program of Urban Planning for the demands of rapid and healthy urban construction development and improvement of the professional qualification and the management level of administrators in enterprises and public institutions in the field of urban planning.
- Interactive Teaching – The program focuses on the interactive teaching methodology like case-based teaching, which links theory with practice and will develop students’ innovative thinking and real management ability
- Second Classroom – The program broadens the students’ view by the second classroom in forms of academic forum and lecture
- Optional Courses – The program will include optional courses of urban simulation, dissertation, and case writing method etc., to enhance students’ comprehensive decision-making ability and thesis writing level
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent, 2 recommendations by associate professors or above, to be approved of by the target university. At least
2 years of working experience is required for MBA program applicants. Language requirements for English-taught programs: TOEFL 68(IBT) or IELTS 5.5 or pass English test of BJTU.
- Photocopy (scanned copy or facsimiled copy) of passport details.
- Your recent photo with white background and minimum size 640 × 480 pixels, or eight pieces of printed copies with size 30 by 40mm when sent by post.
- Notarized diploma and transcripts in English or Chinese (originals should be produced at registration).
- HSK Level 4 Certificate (degree programs taught in Chinese) or English Proficiency Certificate (degree programs taught in English).
- Applicants for Master’s or doctoral programs should provide two recommendation letters by associate professors or above and a study plan at a minimum of 800 words with a detailed description of the contents or field information during the study in China.
- Financial Prove (this requirement is for fee-paying students, full government scholarship applicants are exempt from this requirement), students should provide financial proof that shows sufficient fund available to study at BJTU for the entire study period. Bank statement under the student’s name is preferred. If parents or other person is financing student’s study in China, then the bank statement of this financial sponsor and a letter from the sponsor stating he/she will sponsor the student’s all cost when a study at BJTU should be provided.
- Physical Examination Result (Please download the physical examination form on study.bjtu.edu.cn, complete the form by a certified health provider and upload the form together with the necessary test result)
- Personal Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
The courses of this program will be divided into Degree Courses, Compulsory Courses and Optional Courses with a total of at least 33 credits. Including 7 credits of Degree Courses, 12 credits of Compulsory Courses, 14 credits of Optional Courses.
- General Course (7 credits) – Contemporary Chinese Society, Basic Chinese, Information Retrieval
- Compulsory courses (12 credits) – Urban and Regional Planning Theory, Urban Transportation, Urban Ecology Theory and Practice, Urban Economics Theory, Urban Infrastructure Planning, Dissertation and Writing Method
- Optional courses (14 credits) – Urban planning management and law, Urban Public Infrastructure, Historical Preservation for Traditional
Town and Village, Urban Function and Structure in Modern Time, GIS and Urban Spatial Information Analytical Method, Public Survey of Urban Planning, Urban Planning Practice, and Internship
- Dissertation – Literature Review and Proposal, Lecture
January 15 for the spring semester, July 15 for the fall semester.
Start Date of the program
March 1 for the spring semester, September 1 for the fall semester.
The tuition fees are 35,000 RMB per year. The total fee for the two-year program is 70,000 RMB.
To apply complete the application form and pay the application fee here. It takes approximately 4-6 weeks for your application to be processed and before an admissions decision is given. After you have been accepted you will receive your official acceptance letter visa application form. If you have any questions contact us.